Row Covers for Protecting From Light Snow

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience/suggestions they would like to share concerning the use of row covers for protecting veggies such as broccoli, lettuce, collards and Swiss chard from the weight and or cold from 2 to 3 inches of snow when the ground doesn't freeze hard? These veggies will tolerate the cold winter in Zone 8a here in coastal Virginia, but this year I think I want a little protection for them until spring when they will flourish before the late spring crops go into the garden.

I'm considering the rebar-anchored flexed 1/2 inch PVC pipe in 10 foot lengths with plastic sheeting over it. I thought I read somewhere that PVC pipe and sheet plastic don't mix well and it causes the sheeting to fail early. I'm thinking about covering a double row that is 3 feet wide (actually 2 rows wide) and also many rows of single plants in a normal row. There are too many plants to even consider individual plant covers.

Thanks in advance!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used 2 cedar posts, a heavy coated wire and heavy plastic tented over the wire for many years. The plastic lasts for many seasons. Very inexpensive. I place a soaker hose through the row so I do not have to lift to water. I have only used it in the spring-not in the fall.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Veggie PAK. I tried the re-bar and PVC pipe idea two years ago. It was just OK but far from great. I had three rows of veggies 50 ft. long. I used translucent (6 mil. I think) UV resistant poly sheeting which, in my opinion, was a little pricy. No mater what method I used, attaching the sheeting to the pipe was terrible. I purchased those plastic clips from an on-line vendor but they always ended up poking holes in the poly. I tried using nylon cable ties to repair some of the areas where the clips had torn the poly but they didn't do very well at all.

I used to dream of a poly sheeting that had built in pockets or tubes every three ft. where I could slide the pipe into the pocket. I don't know if there is anything like that on the market but it would make life a little better. I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg though.

It was impossible to get to my plants inside the tunnel for partial harvesting. Well, that's not exactly true. The rips and tears in the sheeting made it possible :( .

Shortly after Christmas that year we had a wind storm that blew all of my sheeting across the field and into the cattle fencing. I didn't replace it. I still have 30 pieces of PVC pipe and 60 pieces of 1/2" re-bar somewhere out in the barn.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Try finding Eliot Colmans book on Winter Gardening...I know Johnny Seed has the book but you might want to try your local library...He talks about cold frames and row covers etc...

Latest posts