Seasoning Cast Iron Pans Upside Down

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've read that you are too oil the entire pan both inside and out and place on the rack upside down, with a cookie sheet at the bottom to catch any drips. Do you guys do that? I only oil the inside and place on the rack on a low temp. for about an hour and a half.

I'm wondering if the seasoning will last longer if I oil the outside also and invert. I just don't see how that will make a difference.

Your opinions?

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had seasoning questions a few years back and that was one of them. @hoodat pointed out that any seasoning on the outside will just burn off when you use your pan.
But a light coat would keep the rust at bay when it's stored it seems.

I read an article on seasoning that recommended seasoning at the highest heat your stove would go and using lard. He also warned that your neighbors might call the fire dept. at the sight of all the smoke billowing out your windows. :rolleyes:

I use my iron a lot and have never officially done a seasoning process on it.
I wipe it down when I'm done or even rinse (gasp!) and scrub the stuck on bits off, then dry on a burner and wipe lightly with a bit of oil while it's still warm and put away. Works for me, and my most used pan has developed a beautiful dark sheen.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I also just rinse and use a rubber scrubber for things that get stuck. I also dry it on a burner. Maybe I should start wiping it lightly with oil. Then I wouldn't have to season it every couple of months.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always wipe, set on a warm stove to dry, and oil lightly before putting my CI pans away. Like, thistlebloom, it works for me. I've never oiled the outside of a CI pan.

I do like the idea of turning the pan upside down to season should it ever become needed. That would keep the oil thin and avoid a thicker layer on the inside-edge bottoms. Thank's, Mary.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I do inside and out, because the bottom could still rust if it gets wet when I wash it out with a clean cloth and cold water. I set mine to dry on a warm stove afterward too. It also makes the bottom smoother so I don't worry about it scratching my glass cooktop. I can always get such a nice seasoning on the outside. I wish the inside looked that good! If I'm not cooking something that contains fat or oil or has been added to it, anything with tomatoes in it for instance, I end up having to re-season my pans every now and then. Sometimes I will do the whole seasoning process two or three times to get a really good coating.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unless things are really, really stuck on, we just throw some salt in it and scrub it out with a paper towel or piece of newspaper. Then we apply a coat of oil afterward and store it. If I have to soak out stuck on items, we'll usually boil those out on the stove, then proceed to wash/scrub out only the inside of the pan in a sink but never immerse the skillet in the water. Then swipe on some oil and store.

If I were seasoning a new CI pan, I'd do inside and out while seasoning until the outside had reached the stage of resisting rust. The seasoning on the outside might smoke a little but it's just baking that oil right into the sides of the pan. Over time it would stop that smoking and burning off as the skillet truly "cures".

Never heard of seasoning it upside down but don't know why it wouldn't work just as well as seasoning right side up.

Latest posts