Seed Catalogues

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Tutter said:
There's no planting of GMO seed here, we were the first county in the nation to outlaw it.
Really? I thought that that's what Monsanto & the other big chem companies were all about GMO seeds. Some of the catalogs I order from make a point to state that they use non-GMO seeds. Why would they bother if no one can?
Note that Tutter said "county" not "country"... ;)

Welcome to TEG,

Pat

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to EasyGarden Curly_kate
Yes it is a great site isn't it? :clap I came here from it's sister site BYC
There are great folks on both sides of the fence...
some of us like to hop back and forth.. :ya

I agree Shumway has wonderful catalog,
I have been using the web to shop Don't like to throw away so many catalogs :rant adding to the landfill..
If you like Heirloomseed Bakercreek is great...
You can find sooo many on the web .... :caf
have fun surfing :weee

Again glad you joined us :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Shumway, as they seem to have the old-timey varieties and a good little paragraph about each kind. They also have seeds that I can't find in most of the other catalogs. I also like Seed Savers and Seeds of Change.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
curly_kate said:
Tutter said:
There's no planting of GMO seed here, we were the first county in the nation to outlaw it.
Really? I thought that that's what Monsanto & the other big chem companies were all about GMO seeds. Some of the catalogs I order from make a point to state that they use non-GMO seeds. Why would they bother if no one can?
Note that Tutter said "county" not "country"... ;)

Welcome to TEG,

Pat
What Pat said! :)

Welcome, Kate! :happy_flower

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I could have only one, it would be Johnny's, for the catalog alone, their prices are a bit high but the selection and information is second to none. Pinetree is also good, and a heck of a lot cheaper. The Cook's Gardenhas a nice selection of gourmet seeds (they're particularly good for mixtures), but I'm also a Bountiful Gardens customer, as well as Nichols Garden. There are so many, but those are the cream of the crop..

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
curly_kate said:
I means non-genetically modified, essentially that scientists haven't spliced other genes into it. Less fooled-around-with. A lot of people worry about what kind of effect that will have on them if they eat genetically modified foods. I just like things in their more natural state. I'm FAR from the expert on this, so maybe someone else has more knowledge to share.

:bee I just discovered all the smileys - too cute!
Yes, GMO = Genetically Modified Organism.

You're mostly correct. People worry about the effect it has on them, but also what effect it has on the environment, and other non-gmo crops.

Aren't the emoticons cute? :)
Actually, most of the corn and soybeans in America are genetically modified. I know since my husband is a grain farmer. The only way to be sure your food does not include them is to grow organic. The rest of the food you buy does not need to state that it includes GMO crops.

Re the original question, I like Seed Saver's Exchange and Seeds of Change for their heritage and heirloom breeds.

oops, sorry Tutter! I just noted the point about "county" versus "country." Way to go, California! I love the movements that come from there--environment, health, etc.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think an important fact to keep in mind when choosing a seed company is the location of their testing grounds. For example, if you are looking at a seed catalog describing how seeds perform at their test gardens in South Carolina, and you live in northern Minnesota, you can't expect the same performance in your area. I live in the Pacific Northwest and order most of my seeds from Territorial. Their testing grounds are similar to my climate so I have a good idea that what I read in their catalog is pretty much what I'll get.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hi ya'll....

I was going through motherearthnews, and saw this seed company listed there, which I don't think has been posted here.

They are located out of Hallandale, FL... but, the site looks interesting...

Can't give a recommendation one way or another as I have never purchased or grown from that site, but, wanted you all to know about it...

I'm going to give it a try!!!

Athena

http://www.eonseed.com/catalog501.html

Latest posts