seed packet says 6-7 weeks before frost....

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this may be a dumb question.... Why can you only start seeds 6-7 weeks before you want to plant them? I have my seed packets - most say plant indoors 6-7 weeks before last frost. hat happens if I plant them 10 - 12 weeks?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Under normal conditions the 6 to 7 weeks makes them a good transplant size when its time to put them outside. If you are too early starting them they may be pretty big when conditions outside are right. If you are too late starting them, they may not be ready at the best time. It's just a general guide.

Timing can be a challenge. My "normal" last frost date is April 10. Last year we had a snow May 1st. The year before spring was three weeks early. I started my tomatoes too early for a normal year. If spring comes early, I'm ready. If it's late, I'll have some big transplants. If they did not come up ((which happens), I had time to replant.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Under ideal conditions, they will be bigger, healthier, and will flower and fruit earlier. Under the conditions most of us have, they will struggle to grow, become leggy, get stunted and not produce well at all.

Ideal conditions being a heated greenhouse (in my cooler climate) and having plenty of space and materials for potting up as needed.

[Why can you only start seeds 6-7 weeks before you want to plant them? I have my seed packets - most say plant indoors 6-7 weeks before last frost. What happens if I plant them 10 - 12 weeks?]

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so I can start early if I am prepared to pot up if need be? I wanna start my brussel sprouts.. they take so long!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about Brussel sprouts, Smithyard Farm. I've never grown them. It is a good question and I hope others have some ideas.

Root-bound in containers too small for the plants and plants too close together because there isn't room indoors to separate them - those are a couple problems I have had starting plants too early. Plants too close together shade each other. Some plants can have real problems after restricted root growth.

Most plants go through developmental stages during their lives. Often, these are determined by age, sometimes by restrictions on their growth. If a plant moves out of its "vegetative" growth stage it may move into flowering and seed production and there is nothing that can be done to get a little more growth from it. Besides, we may not be interested in harvesting it as food if it has reached these stages - an example, lettuce that has begun to bolt and flower.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
For tomatoes I would wait until at least 8 weeks before planting time. Give yourself a week to harden them off. However these times are for a professional greenhouse. If you are using a sunny window your plants will need more time. I have 2 inch tall peppers right now to go out in mid May. I have eggplant and artichoke just peeking out of the soil. I need large plants of these varieties in order to get a good crop, so I plant them earlier then recommended. I have a greenhouse which gets heat from the house but does not have a heat source per say. I need to add bottom heat for my heat loving plants to get good results. I will start broccoli, lettuce, and similar crops tomorrow. I will wait for tomatoes, though sometimes I JUST CAN'T WAIT! If the tomatoes are too lanky I don't really care because I just bury the stems. You have to make a judgement by experience. I am going to plant a few flowers soon, again so I can have a substantial plant for earlier bloom. Cukes and squash I will wait on, I do not want them too large and starting to vine.
I plant in 6 packs. Many plants like to have their roots ruffed up a little when planting outdoors. The exception would be the cukes and squash. I use individual peat pots for them so the roots are not disturbed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good question and some very good answers. There is no "wrong" in gardening, you just have to try different things to see what works best for you. There is also no "fail" in gardening. Instead it is referred to humongous giant learning triumph. :lol:

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well... I went ahead and did it.. I planted 12 cells (using Styrofoam egg carton) couple seeds in each one. I also did some marigolds. I have a tiny little greenhouse with a tiny lite light stick, which seems to be keeping it at 75 degrees. it has 4 shelves. I will need another light if I start more. I'll keep you posted! like some said before m, if it doesn't work, can always start more!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good question and some very good answers. There is no "wrong" in gardening, you just have to try different things to see what works best for you. There is also no "fail" in gardening. Instead it is referred to humongous giant learning triumph. :lol:

Baymule I love you spirit!!
With so many variable in gardens you may find that your plants work and your neighbor doesnt if you run across a problem learn from it and dont let it scare you away from trying again:pop:thumbsup

Latest posts