Seed pods??

Yulan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
image.jpg
My son gave me these seed pods any idea what they are from? He said he found them near where the house sat at one time next door to us. (Now part of our property)
image.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing hosta or maybe Siberian iris.

ETA: Yeah, actually, scratch hosta...they would have been connected on one stem and these appear to have individual stems.

Yulan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So he took me to the plant he got them from, it was to dark for a picture though. Definitely not hosta it looked like these long stems grew amongst what looks like a clump of extra thick grass like foliage

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look exactly like some kind of wild or feral Iris, the kinds that make either small corms or thin rhizomes.

Iris of these kind have longish, heavy, slightly wide leaves that grow from the base mostly, with a few along the lower half of the flower stalks.

Did you see them in flower? The flowers would have been basically Irish shaped, but with thinner, not as showy sets of petals as the usual domesticated Irises.

Some of these kinds have been bred for gardens and are very beautiful, with nice leaves, and colorful, well formed flowers.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Google up

Wild Iris Seed Pods

and then click for "images", and you'll see a lot of different kinds, all basically look like yours.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a dormant siberian iris. It is quite different from regular irises. Smaller bloom and the foliage looks like thick grass.

siberian_iris2.jpg

And in bloom...

siberian_iris7.gif

I've never tried to grow them from seed, since I've had plenty of starts from splitting those that were already here when we bought this place. I'd love to know if it can be done though.

And wild iris could fit the bill too, but since it was in someone's yard, I'd say it's less likely. I've found them in the woods before, but they are smaller and I've killed the couple I did try to transplant. :p

BTW, are you a mushroom hunter by any chance? :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
those are Siberian Iris any they can be grown from seed but it could take some time. you have to nick the seed (scarification) or soak them. also giving them a time of stratification or cold to simulate winter helps. most times it's just easier to divide the clumps every few years. i've had a few clumps i bought about 20 years ago and it has been divided and moved to a few different locations around the yard or to other properties over the years. i also have a nice pale yellow i've had about 15 years but it doesn't seem to spread as much.