seed savin'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
mhdl5l.jpg

I've grown baby bok choy for many years. Mei Qing Choi is what I started with and, altho' I've tried quite a few other varieties of bok choy, Mei Qing Choi is what I've ended up with.

Other varieties have had some qualities but Mei Qing was the best all around . . . except it is a hybrid and the seed is quite expensive.

This year, I discovered LuLan Choy. It is visually identical to Mei Qing but is soooo tender :)! And . . . it may be an open-pollinated variety.

2ci71va.jpg

I hope it isn't patented or I many be in trouble . . . Brassica seed savin' is so easy :p.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have almost that many dill seeds saved up. I'll probably offer them this Spring when people start looking for them.
Steve, have you tried sprouting choy seeds? They make really great salad sprouts.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... good haul of seed there!!!

Its time for me to start harvesting my lettuce seed, thanks for the reminder. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have NOT sprouted choy seeds . . . radish sprouts are real good!

I like cream cheese and sprout sandwiches.

Coriander seeds were also "thrashed" today. With the fragrance, that is more pleasure than work, that's for sure :). Dill hasn't quite matured but it will be past its prime as usual by the time we have any cucumbers to speak of. Actually, there may be 5 or 6 cukes tomorrow and we ate 2, today.

Radish seeds will probably be next. I told the neighbor that by saving seeds the garden looks a little "seedy!" But, those plants are tied to stakes this year, or at least the brassicas are. One of the 3 orache plants looks like a small, purple tree!

It looks a lot better tying the floppers to stakes. Oh, that reminds me: I need to post some more dahlia pictures!

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow that looks like a lot of seed! But you missed a step for me. So you grow the choy and it sends up a seed stalk. Then you wait for the seed stalk to dry? and they get the seeds?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
1. grow the choy (may want to save the nicest plants)
2. it sends up a seed stalk (don't allow pests to beat it up even if it isn't for food)
3. wait for the seed stalk to dry (when it is nearly dry, cut it and put it somewhere sunny)
4. get the seeds

S' :)

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Holy seeds! That ought to be enough!!
That's what I was thinking! :gig That's a lotta seed!

Good to hear that variety worked well....hopefully it grows true for ya next year.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks steve. I waited and waited for the radishes seed pods to dry but it felt like forever so I didn't get very far. I ended up eating them.