Seed Starter

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I buy it for its convenience! Particularly this time of the year. I only do a couple of flats. I don't have a particular brand. I like a light-weight mix and it has to be sterile. Once I tried to microwave a non-sterile mix. Too messy!
Masoud

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I certainly can't risk mixing my own, Nyboy!

About the mix, I am totally unimaginative and use the same for the last 20 years. Before that, the only different was that the company didn't have an "organic" version.

Once, I used something other than Black Gold over the last 25 years. (I honestly don't remember what I had for use when I worked in the greenhouses and prior.) Anyway, that one deviation nearly ruined my season!!! There are others just as good and probably better, I'm sure. Just find someone who can cite performance before risking it all on something that just pops up on a shelf somewhere . . .

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use Ferti-lome Ultimate Potting Mix. I went out to look at the bag to make sure I got that right. Carla at the gardening center recommended that, said it is what she uses for the starts she grows and sells.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use Ferti-lome Ultimate Potting Mix. I went out to look at the bag to make sure I got that right. Carla at the gardening center recommended that, said it is what she uses for the starts she grows and sells.

That's what I use, too. It doesn't get hard, isn't so light that it blows away, and isn't too expensive. Never had a problem with damp-off, or weird fungi growing in it. I find that I have to wet it down with warm water before using it, though, if the bag has sat open for a while.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy my starting mix, don't mix my own and don't have a brand that I am loyal to. Sounds like you are getting ready to dive into seed starting! WHOO-HOO!!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I buy it from a local nursery, their own mix and brand name. It's a much better price than the big name brands around here. I start 30-40 flats.

I agree with Steve, success is in the soil. :)

dick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I try and use only MiracleGro Micromix potting soil.
Always on the look out for end of season or broken bags, looking for a deal!!!

THANX RICH

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I make my own. Not a single decent off the shelf one in Australia.