Seeds not sprouting

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, about 2 weeks ago we put our pepper and tomato seeds into seed pods to grow. We are just now getting a few sprouts. Thing is we planted 76 pods. Half tomatoes (beefsteak, roma and purple heirloom) and half peppers (habanero, jalapeno, cayenne and bell pepper).
Could the seeds be bad? Got them from Burpee and used some I saved from last year's plants. Or maybe not warm enough where we're keeping them?
Anyone have this problem before and can offer some feedback. I really don't want to resow if I can fix it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Take a look at the soil temperatures needed for pepper seeds especially, @TReeves LINK.

At 59°f, pepper seeds take nearly a month to germinate. At 68°, nearly 2 weeks.

Do you know the temperature where you are sprouting the seeds?

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi, Not warm enough could do it. Yes, seeds can be bad from well known seed companies.
I've had both be the case. Year before last I planted peppers and tomatoes our the greenhouse up here, it was still getting too cold at night which slowed down the seeds and because of the cold the soil stayed damper. The seeds were slow to sprout and there was some damping off, [sprouts that died].
There have been times when all systems were go and a poor percent of the seeds sprouted. In more than one case the company was contacted and replaced the seeds.

Two weeks is not too long for peppers to sprout, I've snipped the edge of the seed cases, that seems to speed them up as does a heating pad.

Have a great day.

Richard

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all the different varieties you planted, the chance of them all being bad is pretty slim. I vote for temperature being too low. I just used the top of the soffet in the kitchen for sprouting pepper seed, and it took 8 days.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
I've had them on the kitchen table. The kitchen is the warmest room in our house except for the bathroom. So, I'll try moving them into the bathroom (no one uses it) and see what happens.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This photo from last year doesn't show the insides but I built a box out of plywood, lined the bottom and sides with foil to reflect heat, and strung old inside the box to generate heat. I regulate heat by screwing in or unscrewing different bulbs. Other people use heat pads or do something else.

Since hot air rises, the top of the refrigerator or a tall bookcase may be a fairly warm place.

Starter Set-up.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep the house at 61° to 62° at night. However, a thermometer on top my refrigerator shows 70°.

It has to be pushed to the back, where a cabinet extends over about 1/2 the fridge. Several cookie boxes can fit under that cabinet. I have to pay attention to the seedlings because they will stretch, searching for light within hours of sprouting.

Last year, I had old jalapeno seed. They finally emerged out in the greenhouse, about a month after sowing. Too late :rolleyes:! Other pepper varieties in the same box essentially smothered them. Besides, I'd made a run to the garden center for fresh jalapeno seed and that was already up in another container.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both types of seed should keep a long time. But there are of course things that can make them unviable. I did buy a packet of burpee hot pepper seeds last year that not germinate. It is rare but it happens. It is probably the way that they we're kept buy the seller. I have seen big box store seeds kept in a very damp environment which would kill the seed. Peppers need warmth for best results. Tomatoes can get away with cooler temps but do best and are quickest if you use bottom heat.

Latest posts