Seeds still good?

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a slew of seeds from last year. They've been kept in a dark,dry,cool place. Would they still be good to use this year is my question? I've got sweet corn, cukes etc. Do I chance it or buy new for this years planting?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

They should work just fine. I use mine up to 7 years old & still get good germination.

Go ahead & enjoy yourself [& save your money]. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should be fine. Most seeds will last anywhere from 2-3 years and some even longer when stored properly (like you did) and maintain great germination rates. As the seeds age, the germination percentages will go down, but you can still use fairly old seeds successfully. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've found most of my seeds have been doing great for years! (I way over buy each year anyways! :lol: )

However, I have learned my chives are not solid 2 years running. I need to start buying fresh of those each year.

You should be golden! ;)

:welcome if I haven't told you before. :thumbsup

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I had seed from 1995 I planted last year and they grew. Mostly cool weather root stuff like turnips, kohlirabi, beets, carrots, etc. Only about 10% viability, but definately more than I expected.

Yours should be fine and supply atleast 90% viability. If you are still unsure, try testing for germination by putting some seeds in a folded, damp paper towel. Start checking them after about a week. If nothing has sprouted within a month(?), they're probably no good. Best of luck!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You've kept them under the right conditions, so I'm sure they'll do fine. If I wonder about something, I test them like old fashioned does. Some things, like corn, peas and beans you can even freeze and they'll still sprout several years later. Last year I had peas over 2 years old and I was afraid they wouldn't germinate well so I sewed them thick, and just about ALL of them sprouted, I had to thin so many of them out. It's always worth giving it a try. Unfortunately, weed seeds can stay viable for many years in the garden too! :p

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should be fine but if you have to know just check their germination rate. Wrap about 10 seeds in a damp paper towel and seal up in a sandwich bag. In about 7-10 days see how many have sprouted.

Latest posts