Seeds

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a friend who is convinced that some time in the future the whole country is going to go under and there will be no food, water, or whatever. I spoke to him this weekend and he was up on his soapbox telling me how he had sent away for this heirloom seed pack intended for using when this doomsday came and how he was ready. He claims that these seed will store and germinate for up to 25 years. When he told me this I was sceptical and didn't say anything, but now I have to ask.

Is it possible for seeds to be kept that long and expect any decent rate of germination? I tend to think not. Even with good storage techniques, I thought seeds where only good for up to a few years. He paid a pretty penny for these, so I may have to fill him in if he got taken.

Thoughts?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bigredfeather said:
I have a friend who is convinced that some time in the future the whole country is going to go under and there will be no food, water, or whatever. I spoke to him this weekend and he was up on his soapbox telling me how he had sent away for this heirloom seed pack intended for using when this doomsday came and how he was ready. He claims that these seed will store and germinate for up to 25 years. When he told me this I was sceptical and didn't say anything, but now I have to ask.

Is it possible for seeds to be kept that long and expect any decent rate of germination? I tend to think not. Even with good storage techniques, I thought seeds where only good for up to a few years. He paid a pretty penny for these, so I may have to fill him in if he got taken.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure that they will last for 25 years. I think that you are accurate with your life span of a seed. I am just wondering how he is going to water his seeds if there is no water available? I'm not poking fun...I am just curious if he is coming up with some great idea that I don't want to miss out on.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Depending on when TSHTF, he may or may not have a good deal... It seems (from a few minutes of research) that most seed is viable only for a few years. Seeds that last 50 to 100 years, are quite remarkable. If I were inclined to save seeds for an impending disaster- I think I would grow the seeds and save fresh seeds at least every couple of years. JMHO. Many of the gardeners on this site have come across "old seed" in our collections and have found pretty poor germination rates.
Considering the luck I had with heirloom seeds this year- I would surely starve to death!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed longevity is directly related to storage techniques. Think cool and bone dry. The oldest viable seed that sprouted and grew into a plant was discovered in Herods palace in Israel. It's about 2000 years old.
Of course not all seed is going to be viable that long even with perfect storage, it depends on the plant species it comes from.
But I think 25 years is completely believable.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Secret to keeping germination is avoid temperature swings, humidity, keep sealed tight. Within reason, colder the better.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The way I see it, the best practice would be to grow them and re-save seed every year or couple of years, as Lesa said. Not JUST because of viability of the seed, but if THE BLEEP DOES hit the fan, well, that HARDLY seems the time to "get to know" a new variety of vegetable and all it's quirks and how BEST to grow it for the highest production. I mean.. when THE BLEEP hits the fan, I want to be an 'ol pro :old at growing those varieties I plan to live on. Not just growing it, but preserving it and using it in the kitchen too!
:D

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree with Lesa on saving seeds for any major event that will/can take place. Save your own. I have started to store my own seeds so that I know what I actually have that will grow well in my soil. Saving seeds every year or two isn't a hard thing to do.

I consider myself to be prepared for a SHTF scenario, and I have checked out many sites that offer seeds that will last that long, but boy are they expensive for what you get! I don't like the seed combinations any of them use. Many of the seeds I wouldn't even plant, because I don't plant them now. These seeds come in Mylar bags with an oxygen (O2) absorber packet in with them. I read that as the O2 is absorbed by the packet, all that remains is inert nitrogen gas.

Let's face it. If you are not a gardener now, you won't be a gardener after the SHTF either. You won't know what to do and you would starve during the learning curve.

Look at it this way: If you have access to fresh seeds every year through your own harvests now, why would you even want a can of seeds that someone says will last 25 years? I didn't like the idea of seeds in a can the first time I read about it, much less the cost.

Be a seed saver.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bigredfeather said:

Thoughts?
I just hope that the seeds do last because there are a lot of non believers that are going to need fed..but not my family..cause if he paid a lot now think what the price of seeds will be when tshtf..

Don a believer

Latest posts