Selling seedlings - price?

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I always start too many plants every year and keep saying I'm going to sell the extras. So far, I keep just planting too many but this year I have people interested in buying my extras. I want to be fair if not cheap but everything I have is heirloom. They are small plants in 3" plastic pots and are completely hardened off. I have several colors of peppers, different cabbages, eggplants, tomatoes, etc. how much do y'all think I should try selling them for?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No idea as many variables. Suggest go see what flats and individual plants are selling for at local greenhouse.

For my area, $.25 per plant in 2012. Not sure what this year will be.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year, I sold some for a freind of mine at a farmers market. They were all in the big red Solo cups. (She probably owes Toby Keith some money) Anyhow...She had some that were really full, nice looking plants I asked and got $2.00 for them. Then there were most others that we sold for 75.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Home Depot sells hybrids for ridiculous prices, anywhere from $2.49 - $10 depending on the size and container.

I think for an heirloom, depending on the seed source (non-GMO?), you could bring in anywhere from $3-$5 for 3" containers, and even more if you pot them up another size. How tall are the plants? How do they look? The bigger, greener, fluffier, the more money you can get.

Depending on your area, of course. In an Urban area, at a posh farmer's market, no problem. :) I've considered selling seedlings myself, and this is the going rate in my area.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I paid $1.50 per set of 4 starts. But around here Burpee gets $2.49-$4.49 per plant!

You ask what you want to make for them I guess. Checking your local nursery is probably best. I'm sure the heirloom varieties are worth more if they don't even offer them!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
i put up a list of what we over planted next to the time clock at work. .50 each all were gone in a matter of hours. it payed for a couple packets of seeds...
and got my pots back...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can ask a premium price if they are organic. I would compare to local farm stands. Don't sell your self short. Friends can get a bargain, though. I give mine away to special friends.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little old man on my street every spring puts a card table at the end of his driveway. He has healthy nice tomato plants for $3.00 and a box for money, people make their own change. He has people that come back every year for his plants. I once asked him if he was ever ripped off, he said nope .

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
A little old man on my street every spring puts a card table at the end of his driveway. He has healthy nice tomato plants for $3.00 and a box for money, people make their own change. He has people that come back every year for his plants. I once asked him if he was ever ripped off, he said nope .
Wish I could do it that easily but I live in the middle of nowhere.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
jhook, I pay $3 for veggies. Of course, I live in an expensive area. I think .50 is too low. Check what nursery's sell them for and then charge $1 less and advertise on craigs list. I think people would be willing to drive a little to get good healthy plants at a good price, especially if you have a variety.

Mary