Selling Squash Blossoms (flor de calabaza)....Prices? and Q's...

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help! :)

My pattypan squash and zucchini plants are growing and producing like crazy, so I picked some last week and sold some at work for 25 cents each. (I'm just trying to cover costs for now and share the bumper crop w/ coworkers, not trying to make big $$$ here)
Well one of my hispanic coworkers asked me if I would bring/sell squash blossoms (flores de calabaza) to her.

So...I've never eaten or used or sold squash blossoms before...I'm wondering how much to charge? what do they normally go for around you guys?

When do you pick them? Do you have to go out in the morning and find all the open ones? or can you pick in the evening after they close? or can you use ones about to open??? How do you store them?
And are people normally looking for the female or male flowers? or both? :idunno

As you can tell I'm clueless about this...any tips/help would be appreciated! Recipes would be cool too...maybe I should try some of my own.....:p

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Mexicans have a soup that uses the squash blossoms. That's probably what she wants them for. Male blossoms are picked the day before they open with just a short stem attached. female blossoms are picked at the same stage but usually include the immature fruit. I can't give you an exact price but they are a delicacy and usually command a premium price.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
Hey guys, I need some help! :)

My pattypan squash and zucchini plants are growing and producing like crazy, so I picked some last week and sold some at work for 25 cents each. (I'm just trying to cover costs for now and share the bumper crop w/ coworkers, not trying to make big $$$ here)
Well one of my hispanic coworkers asked me if I would bring/sell squash blossoms (flores de calabaza) to her.

So...I've never eaten or used or sold squash blossoms before...I'm wondering how much to charge? what do they normally go for around you guys?

When do you pick them? Do you have to go out in the morning and find all the open ones? or can you pick in the evening after they close? or can you use ones about to open??? How do you store them?
And are people normally looking for the female or male flowers? or both? :idunno

As you can tell I'm clueless about this...any tips/help would be appreciated! Recipes would be cool too...maybe I should try some of my own.....:p
I cook with squash blossoms actually, and love them! Always harvest first thing in the morning so they are wide open and you don't need to force them open which will tear them. I use a pint size plastic container (like strawberries come in) and put a wet paper towel folded in the bottom I then set the freshly washed blossoms into the container and keep in the fridge and use within 24 hours. Leave some stem attached to the flower, its edible too and it makes them easy to work with... I like to deep fry mine stuffed with turkey pepperoni and cheese! I also like them in bean soups.

I usually charge $3 for my organic edible flowers. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What ever fits without packing them too tight. About 8 flowers actually!

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone!

And thanks vfem for all your info! :bow

$3 sounds like a good price. Sounds like I'll be making an early morning drive to the garden before I head to work tomorrow....:rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it helps, I always pull only the male flowers and let the female flowers mature to full size squash. :D Usually leaving one male flower is enough for the plant to fertilize other flowers.

P.s. - You should try some yourself! I can give you my fried squash blossom recipe.

Latest posts