short, wet season onion variety?

Bubblingbrooks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am trying to get a hold of at least 1,000 seeds of Red Wethersfield onion, as they grow well in Alaska.
Trouble is, I can't find a supplier right now. I need to get the seeds started in about 2 weeks if we are going to get onions this year.
I have already queried Seeds of Change, and I have not heard back from them.

Any suggestions?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't quite understand, Bubblingbrooks.

A Seeds of Change catalog came yesterday and they list Red Wethersfield onion seed. Were you unable to order the seed from that company?

Other than that: A John Scheepers, Kitchen Garden Seed catalog came today. They have Red Wethersfield sets. That probably isn't of help.

Steve

Bubblingbrooks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:

A Seeds of Change catalog came yesterday and they list Red Wethersfield onion seed. Were you unable to order the seed from that company?

Other than that: A John Scheepers, Kitchen Garden Seed catalog came today. They have Red Wethersfield sets. That probably isn't of help.

Steve
I tried to order from Seeds of Change and they said none in stock and could not give a date of when they would have them.
No idea why, and no answer on the querie I sent them :idunno

We ended up ordering a different kind.
Went with Stuttgarters from Bakers Creek.
Now I have to see if our WalMart will have Jiffy trays/domes this month.
Our trays are worn out, and I can't remember when they stock the shelves.

Bubblingbrooks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Now I am curious why you can't figure out what I was looking for! I stated it clearly in the post :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bubbling, I find using my quart milk containers, cut in half work perfectly for seed starting. I never feel those tiny jiffy containers have enough soil, or stay damp long enough...I am surprised you are trying seeds- with your short season, I would have thought you would go for sets? Good luck! Happy Gardening!

Bubblingbrooks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
Bubbling, I find using my quart milk containers, cut in half work perfectly for seed starting. I never feel those tiny jiffy containers have enough soil, or stay damp long enough...I am surprised you are trying seeds- with your short season, I would have thought you would go for sets? Good luck! Happy Gardening!
:lol: We drink milk straight from the farm!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
digitS' said:

Steve
I tried to order from Seeds of Change and they said none in stock and could not give a date of when they would have them.

If you do a search you may find the thread on here with links to making starter pots from newspaper.... they are quite handy in a pinch, even though I preferred the jiffy pots myself.

Bubblingbrooks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
digitS' said:

Steve

If you do a search you may find the thread on here with links to making starter pots from newspaper.... they are quite handy in a pinch, even though I preferred the jiffy pots myself.
I'd go that route, except we are planting 1,000 onion seeds :th
Planting enough for two households for a year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You may want to try to create sometime of foam or cardboard tube with cells in it. That may make it a lot easier on you then even jiffy pots.

Have you thought about starting them the hydroponics way. I gave that a try for my herbs this winter and I have tons of basil now just growing in water in jars. I'll transplant them in the spring out into the garden, but I now I have full size plants I am taking leaves from.

Start the seeds in wet paper towels and transfer them when the sprout.

But that's just me being inventive.... lots of cardboard out there... free even!!! :cool:

Latest posts