Should I or shouldn't I?

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have 9 fruit trees to plant, Grapes and Blue berries and this is what my weather looks like for the next ten days: (my concern is Monday)

Today
Apr 3
Cloudy / Wind
49 high
32 low
10% chance of precipation

Sat
Apr 4
Mostly Sunny
56 High
35 Low

Sun
Apr 5
T-Showers
54 High
33 Low
70% chance of precipation

Mon
Apr 6
Snow Shower / Wind
40% chance of precipation

Tue
Apr 7
Few Snow Showers / Wind
30% chance of precipation

Wed
Apr 8
Partly Cloudy

I wanted to plant them tonight or Saturday what do you think? I have never planted trees before so I am at a loss here.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are these trees and such bareroot and not leafed out?

If they are bareroot, I would plant ASAP, with the exception of if they have their leaves out . . . if that is the case, I would personally be a little more cautious and plant them in pots and keep them in an unheated building until the lows of 28 and such pass. Others may have a different experience, by I try to err on the side of caution, especially with new plants.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL, I've never seen a bareroot plant leafed out, but I suppose it is always possible? :idunno

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
All the trees and grapes are bare roots. The blue berries have dirt on the roots. No leaves on anything.

So you think its safe to plant later today or tomorrow?

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh there are buds on a couple of the trees though does that matter?? If it is ok to plant do I need to cover them or anything?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as the buds haven't opened much, I think they are perfectly fine and will do best if you plant them ASAP in their final locations.

Where did you get them? Locally? If they were in a field or nursery near you, then they should be acclimatized and will be just fine with the local weather.

Edited for spelling.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would put them out... the longer bare roots are out of the ground the more air damage you may get to those roots...I wouldnt think a little frost will hurt the trees or blueberries once in the ground... I have never done grapes so I dont know about them...but I have pictures in my mind of the winery nearby in winter with the bare branches sticking up out of the snow...

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered them from burgess. Do you think I should cover them or will they be ok?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If there are no opening buds they will be fine, even the blueberries and grapes . . . I have been there and done that without any damage.

Where is Burgess located?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I looked it up . . . Burgess is in IL . . . I don't live in your area, but I would imagine their climate is similar to yours? If they are a good company, they will know to ship at the right time for you to plant right away.

Latest posts