Show Us Your Tomato!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00779.JPG

i have just about given up using picasa for sharing photo's. let's see how long google allows this image to appear . . .

These are the "something new" in my garden. One parent was Kellogg's Breakfast and they still have that nice, smooth flavor - a little different because they are red. This is NOT their typical shape, however! There are 4 of the plants in my garden and one had these 2 "misshapened" fruits. Some folks, like my neighbor (who will otherwise be nameless :rolleyes:), complains about tomatoes shaped like this. I only complain if they split and these have not! In fact, Kellogg's Breakfast is known for not splitting despite a relatively tender skin.

These would probably keep the neighbor happy, altho' they are a day or 2 from being ripe:

They are making me happy, too! I guess this is the 3rd year to have Gary O Sena in my garden. I had 2 years, after a serious mix-up following losing a number of plants to a late frost, when I was saving the wrong seed! Finally got that straightened out in 2012 by going back to the original packet and starting over. I'm glad I did! They just do fine :).

Here's a little about the guy and his crossing of Brandywine & Cherokee Purple to get this variety: Tatiana's TomatoBase. Notice that there are "sisters" to this cross altho' the originator calls Gary O Sena "his favorite."

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep forgetting about this thread and now I'm about out of tomatoes. ;)

Those are nice pics, Steve. Could be in a catalog! What camera are you shooting with?

In fact, Kellogg's Breakfast is known for not splitting despite a relatively tender skin.
That was my experience with them too. As big as they got and as much rain as we had, they still didn't split. KB's are one of my new favorites. I grew them one year from a plant a neighbor gave me, but she couldn't remember what it was, but I'm pretty certain. This year I grew my own from seed I bought and seed from the mystery tomato and they were identical.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Sony Cybershot, Journey. I had to go look at it . . . I've had it for awhile; suppose it may be becoming outdated ;).

Your experience with the neighbor's KB is not quite as bad as mine with the Gary O's. The frost killed my plants - I lost about 10% of my tomatoes that spring :/. I'd given some to my neighbor and thought I knew which they were. "Borrowed" a fruit from what was the wrong plant! Saved the seed and was so stubborn that I grew it for 2 seasons! (However, I was so risk-averse that I actually allowed him to grow them for me :p; as I observed from the other side of the fence.)

Fortunately, there were like 2 seeds left in the original packet! Sand Hill Preservation has had the variety right along; as does Tatiana.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I downloaded a bunch of pics off of my camera today and forgot to show you guys this one...

6486_imgp5024_web.jpg

Siamese twins! One showing its fanny. :lol:

These are Black Plum tomatoes.

Latest posts