Slimy Okra

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read that water is what draws out the slime. If you avoid water, you avoid the slime.

One recipe I tried was to pat the the okra dry after you wash it and keep your hands and utensils dry. Slice it and cook it down very slowly with tomato, onion, garlic and one tablespoon of white vinegar. I don't have the measurements of the other ingredients, but about enough to serve 4. I added olive oil to the pan and stirred a lot to keep it from burning. I did not have the tomato at the time but will next time, but that is another thread. I did coarse chop a young green pepper and fried that with it. It was not slimy and was pretty good even without the tomato. Next time I'll have the tomato and may add some sage to see how that works.

One hint I saw was to freeze the okra until it was well frozen, probably overnight, then slice it while it was still frozen. I did not try that method. I'd expect my execution to not meet the theory and it would thaw on me due to my warm hands. Keeping it dry worked.

maidservant

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okra will have some amount of slime, no matter what you do. We just slice it up (~1/4 inch thick slices), coat with plain cornmeal, sprinkle a little salt over it, and fry it in an older cast iron skillet. The skillet is seasoned, so I don't have to use oil. You can also fry it in a non-stick pan without oil, you just have to really watch it to keep it from burning.

My fiance likes it boiled....I won't even fix it for him. That is the only food I will not cook, boiled okra!

***Never heat a non-stick pan past medium heat! The coating can release toxic fumes if over heated! Very important if you have birds inside or breathing problems.

Emily in NC - who is wishing that she had planted more than four rows of okra this year....:D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But deep-fried okra is still somewhat slimy. That hasn't been exposed to any water at all except the small amount in the batter (to which it is not exposed very long before frying).

Certainly you can affect the *amount* of sliminess (although, isn't that part of the whole point of okra?) but I'm kinda skeptical you can entirely eliminate it.

Times I've grown okra (it's too cool where I live now to be really worthwhile), frankly it's been as much for the flowers as anything :p

Pat

maidservant

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I don't use batter, nor do I deep fry. I use dry cornmeal and a little salt, then I pan fry, in hardly any oil. My very seasoned cast iron skillet doesn't need any oil to cook the okra. This is the only way I'll eat okra (ok, so I like gumbo too), but I eat a lot of okra!

Emily in NC

PS - Forgot to say, in savory dishes, add just a few pieces of cut okra and bring to a boil. Works better than corn starch for thickening stuff up! Having only a few pieces cuts down on the slimy feel and look, and just thickens up whatever you're cooking.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you saute it long enough, the slime disappears. I have had a lot of success this summer cooking it in a crockpot. I cook it like a gumbo: lots of cut okra, chicken stock, onions, celery, bell pepper and a little roux, cook it on high until no longer slimy (and yes, it will eventually reach this stage!), then throw in some chicken, sausage or shrimp until they are done. Got quite a few packets of that in freezer for winter use.

Latest posts