Snails in my garden

opiemaster

Sprout
Reaction score
Well, I started getting radishes :weee but, much to my surprise :ep I find the SNAILS have invaided my garden :somad. I dont know how to keep them out, is there anyway that these can be beaten. Any ideas? :idunno
Thanks in advance.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Garlic and butter sauce? :D

If escargot is not to your liking, you might want to find your nearest feed store and buy a bag of crushed oyster shells. Put a protective circle around the plants. I use this for my slug issues.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beer traps, then serve escargot to the chickens. Mine love 'em! (maybe it's the beer....:rolleyes:).

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Garlic and butter sauce? :D

If escargot is not to your liking, you might want to find your nearest feed store and buy a bag of crushed oyster shells. Put a protective circle around the plants. I use this for my slug issues.
Oh yesss please! Garlic and butter!

When times get really tuff:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/AFSIC_pubs/srb96-05.htm :p

First, know your enemy, and then EAT him.

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a massive snail infestation. Weekly, I place snail bait around the periphery of the garden, and weekly I end up with 50 to 75 kills. I have tried the more natural methods, but it is too big a job to keep ahead of them.

In the areas where I have concrete at the edge of the garden, I sprinkle salt on it and it works best, and most cheaply of all. I do not put it on the soil, however.

Beer in a shallow container works okay, but nothing works like snail bait. I get a bit of negative feedback because it's not organic, but I am not as concerned about that as I am about having food to eat for the year.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
at one time I had some pretty hefty alligator lizards in my ice plant that kept snails pretty much under control but stray cats have all but wiped them out.
Just about every kid in California has found out the hard way that it's easier to "catch" an alligator lizard than it is to get them to let go once they have latched onto you. :ep

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah I remember those guys. :p You used to just let your finger hang down with them dangling on the end of it until their jaw got tired. :th If you pulled them off you were shredded. But I still played with them anyway. :weee

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You need some pet ducks :D

Of course, you would have to put poultry wire around the plants....

1003076h.jpg

After these little goobers ate all the slugs, earwigs, and roly polys in this bed, they ate the plants :p They can't get to them now :D

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
BlackThumb said:
I have a massive snail infestation. Weekly, I place snail bait around the periphery of the garden, and weekly I end up with 50 to 75 kills. I have tried the more natural methods, but it is too big a job to keep ahead of them.

In the areas where I have concrete at the edge of the garden, I sprinkle salt on it and it works best, and most cheaply of all. I do not put it on the soil, however.

Beer in a shallow container works okay, but nothing works like snail bait. I get a bit of negative feedback because it's not organic, but I am not as concerned about that as I am about having food to eat for the year.
What snail bait do you use? I am with you in having food to eat verses the organic. Do what you can but sometimes you have to bring out the big guns!

Latest posts