Snow, beautiful snow

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
While I know that those of you in the Midwest and Eastern part of the United States are extremely weary of snow, here on the Front Range of the Rockies it has been dry. After all the flooding rains in August and September, the moisture was turned off essentially. We've had a few nuisance snow falls, just enough to make the roads treacherous for a day or two, but no real snow. So please be forgiving of my excitement about the six inches of snow we have gotten so far and the additional four to six inches we are supposed to get by tomorrow morning. We are supposed to get more storms next week too. Yeah. After two years of fires too close to home, we need all the moisture we can get. Normally I'm not a huge fan of snow, so this is a very strange post for me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strange? Not even close to some of our discussions. Wish I could send ice coming our way tomorrow to you. We'd both be happy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We now have close to 6" of snow on the ground. It has been a dry winter here, as well CityFarmer.

There has been less than half the normal moisture over the last 3 months. A blessing for here is that the Canadian storms moving south thru Montana have left a fair amount of snow in our mountains/watershed. Fortunately!

There is supposed to be another small snowstorm (hope it amounts to something) then . . . below zero next week.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will admit, this recent snowstorm (we got maybe 6-8" here in the valley, it was windy and blew around a bunch) was pretty! It was very sparkly light fluffy powder. I'm dreading the bitter cold again next week though...

I'm guessing we're around normal for amount of precip, seems like we've gotten some of the storms that have missed you Idahoanites!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely, I understand your excitement under those circumstances, Cityfarmer. I have a tendency to complain about the mud sometimes, but when August comes and my cistern is full, I am most certainly thankful. I hope more rain will come your way. You guys desperately need it.

I've enjoyed the snow that we have had lately too. It's been so many years since we've had a real winter here, one that wasn't too warm. Most years it is foolishness to buy the kids a snowsuit anymore. You wouldn't get the use out of it.

Just a couple of days before it came, I was on the phone with my mom and mentioned how nice it would be to have some snow cover that would stay on the ground for more than a day or two. Well, I got my wish! We've had just over a whole week of it. It has been too cold for my little kids to go sledding though and now it's suddenly melting, but I don't think we've seen the last of the snow yet.

I haven't really minded the cold either, except that my chickens are going stir-crazy and I haven't gotten an egg in 5 days. For me though, I haven't minded going out in it. And I know it's going to likely bring about a better summer in the long run too...less bugs, and also the morel mushrooms I love to hunt will appreciate a good snow pack and that ground moisture. They said for my area, this is a top 12 coldest winter on record.

Latest posts