So what's with the weather?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this weather is supposed to hold? This is seeming a lot like last year and if it is I am putting up a greenhouse and pretend I live in the south. I still have parsely and thyme that is doing pretty well.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You got me. 50 degrees in Eastern IA on the 15th of December is VERY strange! No snow yet. We could use the moisture after our VERY dry summer. Ground moisture is pretty much depleted and the Mississppi is much TOO LOW! It may be a Green Christmas unless we see snow (that sticks) in the next 10 days.

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
mid forty's and rain yesterday. by the end of the week we're supposed to have measurable snow, lake effect and upper twenties. southwest lower mi. we still could use more moisture also. waiting for the forecast on tv, hoping for a light snow for Christmas. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are moist. I don't think we need bunches of rain. We also had a dry summer but it has been better since late summer. We had such a warm winter last year and I wasn't sure if they were calling for another warm winter. If it looks it I am going to put in a green house. I have been wanting one just haven't committed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Dorie, it should be an awful long way out to predict the growing season weather.

It is snowing here, again.

Okay, how about the Weather Service predictions for the year+ :

Monthly to Seasonal Outlook Maps (link)

You can click on any of the maps and see them better.

Steve

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Fair Weather Chicken :frow!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok if you are getting snow it may get cold here. I know that MT had nice weather last week and the snow was gone and that's what they had last year. I am still leaning toward mild winter. I have already recruited labors for building the green house. You know if we do get snow.... it will help reflect the light into my greenhouse :tools.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I still have potatoes in my garden-no real freeze yet. Same as last winter.
Yes that is what I am thinking and I didn't have parsley this time last year. I had some for Thanksgiving last year be none for Christmas. . . this year I will be having parsley for Christmas dinner and my thyme is beautiful.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just noticed that I have flowers on the broccoli- which look a little sad, but basically alive. Anyone who thinks there is no global warming, isn't a gardener in upstate NY...

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Just noticed that I have flowers on the broccoli- which look a little sad, but basically alive. Anyone who thinks there is no global warming, isn't a gardener in upstate NY...
Honestly, I don't think the argument is global warming as much as "man made" global warming. I do not believe in this. The earth has been going through cycling climate changes for billions of years and man has not been on earth for billions of years. I think the earth is changing (as it always is) but I don't know that we can control or alter this.

Latest posts