Soil Test Results-Now What?

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with Monty, peat pots restrict the root growth of seedlings. I use 72 cell plug trays to start almost everything in a heated greenhouse, then pot up most things to 3" pots before planting out. The Sunshine LC-1 soil-less growing medium is mostly peat. I keep everything bottom watered.

OM is the best, if you can get enough for your needs. Monty may be right about sand in clay; after all, clay, sand, and straw...makes adobe bricks!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, since I already have some starts potted in peat pots again this year, I will make a special effort to pay attention to the watering and to partially remove the pot when I plant them out in the garden. I do know those pellets that expand have caused problems for me in the past, not allowing for root growth somehow. And that netting container doesn't seem to disappear.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
When they added water to the soil sample what floated to the surface was the percent they gave you in the report.
We have clayish soil at the lower ranch also, much higher alkaline, our tomatoes gave a bumper crop.
The peppers on the other had didn't do as well. So I'm guessing tomatoes like high alkaline and the peppers don't.

We did get a great crop of Horn Worms, abos think there great eating, but we gave them to the chickens.

You said you didn't water much because of all the mulch. Tomatoes are thirsty plants from what I've seen. The garden get watered twice daily, of course the lower ranch is on the high desert.

If your peppers were stunted from cold or another problem as young plants that could account for their poor growth.

Well, maybe some of this will be of help. Good luck this year. It would be good to know what you do differently, if anything, and this season's results.
Have a great day.
Richard

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, that's one issue I didn't have last season. Just a few hornworms. No other pesky bugs to speak of. Well, Japanese Beetles, but even they didn't ruin anything. Mainly ate plentiful bean leaves.
I wonder if the super-saturated ground this spring will drown any JB grubs. Wouldn't that be nice?