Some observations from a reluctant traveler

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't knocking overweight people ( I am one) but the bad clothing choices some make. If your large trying to squeeze into something tight just isn't a good idea. I wear very loose fitting clothing, not only is it more commfortable but looks a lot better.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I agree NYboy, I understood what you meant. :)
The let it all hang out crowd should have a friend photo them, then look at the pic a week later in private. Might be they have a mental image of themselves that doesn't coincide with reality.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I rather see cheecks then the extra large woman in black stretchy pants. Why would you wear something that shows every lump and roll, do they come in any other color then black?
Us large women have been told for decades that wearing black will make us look thinner! I think they forgot to mention that the garment should not look like it was painted on for that illusion to work!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna throw a little cold water on this conversation, but I have to interject this. My mom was a little overweight, but she had a very obese self image. I think this was chiefly due to Dad's unintentionally cruel remarks about her "not needing that extra helping of pie" or what ever over the nearly 70 years they were together.
Anyway, after being with her for many of those years, I started looking at the world around me through her eyes, in many ways. I don't understand why so many people are so obese these days but I think it has to do with what we are told is healthy, and what is affordable to eat.
But do you notice how the world is stacked against fat people? A bathroom stall at Wally world is barely large enough to turn around in if you are normal sized. If I weighed 300 lbs I couldn't even get in the door, which opens inward. Jeeze! We had club chairs in our waiting room at a mental health clinic that were so narrow, my butt barely fit. Most of our clients were obese. What kind of signal were we sending? I complained to the director, but got no response.
Folding lawn chairs, car back seats, turnstiles, dressing rooms, café booths, bar stools, airplane seats. Gahh! All made with the size 10 person in mind.
My hope is that we, as a nation, figure out what is causing the obesity problem and fix it, but if not, that manufacturers will recognize how out of date they are.
Now I will get off my podium. Carry on........
As an Obese woman myself I thank you for your compassion So Lucky. Stalls are a nightmare, I actually have to back up and straddle the stool to open and close the door. Airline, theater, office seating all TOO small. It is so embarrassing to sit and be stuck tight. Folding chairs and lawn chairs. Scared to death to sit on unless I know they are plus size & intended for my weight. Sigh... time to start on another diet. *sigh*

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, got a dumb phone here, haven't got the money to get a smart phone yet nor do i want the monthly bill that comes with them. don't have any tattoos but i have wanted one to help hide a hideous mark, again too much $$ to cover it or just can't make up mind what would look nice.

when it comes to being 'fat/obese' and trying to wear things that make me look slim, i just gave up. :idunno there's no way to make it look any better than it is. i can't even stand it when i see adds for Lane Bryant that advertize they carry jeans with 'slimming panels'. i'd rather be comfortable that feeling like a stuffed sausage in my clothes! :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, even the clothing companies are in on the self image conspiracy. If I buy a really expensive outfit, I am a size 6. If I buy something from Wally world, I am a Large. Something does not compute. I know that clothing companies are depending on consumers to shop with their vanity, for those who can afford it.
Oh, and if you are wondering why you see so many obese sloppy women with no bra, which adds to the overall unfortunate look, a good supportive bra costs quite a bit of money--$35 to $40.00. I used to work with people who got a yearly clothing allowance of $200.00. You can bet they weren't spending it on quality underwear.

Latest posts