Something about Scotch Kale

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it's misleading ...

;) Have you noticed how light a bunch of kale is? It's so fluffy!

It remains fluffy after it is cooked - unless you cook kale absolutely to death the way Mom cooked it ... Anyway, I think it misleads us into thinking that we eat more kale than we do.

For those of you who use it in smoothies, have you thought to weigh your ingredients and do proportions in what goes into the blender? Honestly, I have trouble imagining that would be wise with kale and, say, a fruit ... unless it's like .001:1 ;).

Anyway, kale is nutrient rich: LINK.

But, don't ignore your broccoli :): LINK

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
About the only way I can get family members to eat Kale, is to cook and mash it with potato's, or chop it up and add it to a stew, or soup. Personally I like it fine just steamed, with a little drizzle of Oyster sauce, and pepper, but no point in making a pot just for myself. My neighbor avails herself of my abundance of Kale to add to her smoothies. I'll have to ask her what ratio's she uses..

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just started making smoothies this year and I have yet to get one green. I put in kale, either blackberries or raspberries, different kind of seeds like hemp, flaxseed, chia, sometimes water or sometimes orange juice. I am not sure how much kale I would need to have a green smoothie. I would need a lot less of the berries I guess.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's one reason I like the smooth leaved kale I grew from Johnny's. Big thick leaves, not fluffy at all. I think it is Toscini, or something similar. Right now I am using the curly kale. I get a big handful, stuff it in the bottom of the blender, then add a little more. The smoothie soon turns reddish, though, when I add berries.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our green smoothies are green. Like grass. I do add half of a big apple, but they aren't intended to be savored, just a handy way to make sure we are getting greens everyday. Several nights a week I make berry smoothies which are tasty, and we treat them like dessert. No greens allowed in those!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My smoothies always come out looking muddy green. We add spinach or a mixture of greens like spinach, kale, and swiss chard, along with banana and berries. Sometimes I like to also add pineapple to make them sweeter.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
To me green smoothies are gross, and we just chug them. Even when doctored up with fruit, so I will save the fruit for something I will enjoy drinking. I really stuff the container with leaves though, about as much as I would use in a dinner salad times two, so they are very green tasting. DH says it's like licking the bottom of the lawn mower.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
To me green smoothies are gross, and we just chug them. Even when doctored up with fruit, so I will save the fruit for something I will enjoy drinking. I really stuff the container with leaves though, about as much as I would use in a dinner salad times two, so they are very green tasting. DH says it's like licking the bottom of the lawn mower.

I will never like smoothies, no matter what color as long as greens are in there and really not that crazy about fruit ones either. I like eating fruit just by itself and I like kale cooked or in a salad, but we make smoothies.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm.

So, you are missing something most people would call ... enjoying your food?

Well I had rice noodles today. Really instant - more so than ramen noodles. All you need to do is pour boiling water on them. Except, the water had been boiling bok choy - harvested yesterday before this morning's hard freeze.

Bowl of noodles with the cooking water and the greens. Garlic salt went in. People put garlic in smoothies? Suspect not. Piping hot and tasty!

Steve

Latest posts