Something's Attacking My Fig Tree

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FigBlight1.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is, and more importantly what I can do about it?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The thing with dropping its leaves. . . they usually start browning from the edges in with the veins being the last to lose their chlorophyll. OldGuy43 has them browning in spots and at the veins.

OldGuy43, I hope it isn't something serious. So far mine still have all green leaves.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
* "The simplest way to prevent fig rust is to water only the ground under your figs. Rust fungus seeks free moisture on the leaves. Water in the morning so the sun has a chance to dry the foliage. Careful pruning of fig trees can also help by improving air circulation through the branches, allowing the evaporation of excess water from the leaves of the figs. Rust will over winter in fallen leaves and debris, so fall cleanup is essential to prevent fig rust.

Once you find rust on figs, treatment is difficult. There are very few fungicides that are registered for use on figs. Rust seems to respond best to fungicides containing copper sulfate and lime. Bare trees should be sprayed during the dormant season followed by repeated treatments every two to three weeks. By the time you detect rust on figs, treatment is usually unsuccessful for the current season, but beginning a spray regimen can help prevent recurrence.

While rust on fig leaves and fruit can be a disappointment to home gardeners, it isnt fatal. Proper cleanup and good air circulation will go a long way to keep the disease at bay and a spray treatment for previously infected trees can stop its recurrence." *

OldGuy, I can't imagine you're all that damp in Texas, but here is what I found about fig rust.