Spaghetti Sauce processing times

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I made 13 quarts of spaghetti sauce with Mrs. Wages mix 7 days ago. I now realize that I processed the jars only 20 minutes in the water bath canner rather than the 45 minutes indicated on the package. My question is - is it too late to re-process these quarts in the water bath canner. All jars got a good seal and they've been stored in a dark cool cabinet. What are your thoughts? Should I just break the seal and put them in the freezer or can they be salvaged?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm just going to say this is a safety issue... you can't reprocess jars that you didn't recently process (like same say) or store in the fridge until you reprocess them.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they look and smell fine, I'd put them up in the freezer instead, just to be on the safe side. That is a bummer for all your hard work.

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
journey11 said:
If they look and smell fine, I'd put them up in the freezer instead, just to be on the safe side. That is a bummer for all your hard work.
Are you suggesting that in the jars it likely will take some time (weeks or months) before contamination will set in and freezing will arrest this? I don't quite understand the science behind why if the sauce is sealed in the jars, and not contaminated now, that down the road there might be a problem.

Thank you very much for your comments. You are right. I spent many hours on these and the taste is fantastic, so I hate to waste them!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning is not one of those things where you can say "good enough..." If there is bacteria in your sauce, it can spoil at any time- and cause sickness. Since the sauce tastes good- and you worked hard for it, pop those jars in the freezer - and rest easy that you are not going to poison your family! Did you add lemon juice?

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
Canning is not one of those things where you can say "good enough..." If there is bacteria in your sauce, it can spoil at any time- and cause sickness. Since the sauce tastes good- and you worked hard for it, pop those jars in the freezer - and rest easy that you are not going to poison your family! Did you add lemon juice?
Oh no, why should I have added lemon juice?

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine didn't that I did one year but I do have to wonder if it doesn't have citric acid in the powdered mix which is what makes it keep. Vinegar, citric acid or bottled lemon juice brings the acidity up so it won't set up bacteria.

Latest posts