Spring in my basement

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since there are so many roses that are cold hardy with just a bit of help, and own root roses that will come back if the tops do freeze back, I think that's where I would expend my rose growing efforts.

But I'm the gardener that won't plant bulbs that have to be lifted in the fall, never mind some thorny rose bush that takes up a lot of room.

Looking at my arms from yesterdays rose pruning session....and there are many more yet to do. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... and, how small the root mass.

@Smart Red , I wouldn't hear your singing pin oaks. If there was enough wind to make them sing and I was wearing my hearing aids, I definitely wouldn't hear them. The wind would be chaotic noise - no singing.

Greenhouse roses never have much of a chance for root development. I'm not sure if they require more space than double @Jared77 's, there on basement shelves.

I don't have the right search terms. Maybe, I should throw "competition" in there ... the pdf file from Arizona State that I read was for forcing plants into bloom. So, they came from a warm Arizona outdoors into cold storage. Then, back in the warmth, they were forced into bloom to be sold. The cold was to time and encourage the forcing.

Well, I guess that's about right but I wouldn't be shipping 'em around the country to be sold. Storage was at 35°f but chilling hours was given as anything below 45°.

These are for hardy, or semi-hardy roses. I can assure you that in the years that green house roses grow and bloom, they never see anything close to 45°. It does sound about right for limiting their growing, I suppose even greenhouse roses would drop into dormancy at temperatures below 45°. They just don't "need" dormancy to bloom.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read a book about the world of rose competition. They all grew their bushes in trash barrels so that they could move them into a garage or other buildings for the winter. No frost on those bushes.
I just bought 2 trash cans with wheels for fig trees. Need to find a light weight stucco for them. I tried a textured spray paint, suppose to look like stone, big waste.

Latest posts