sprouted taters

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just saw your planting pics! Let us know how that works... Even if it not entirely successful, you've got something growing!

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok - wait.. you DON'T have to fill the bag as the potatoes grows? thats the way I have always done it. I use burlap bags and fill up to the leaves as they grow. Looks like your way is sooo much easier... how many potatoes are you getting from starting 3-4 pieces? AND you only fill it up 1/2 way? I'm gonna have to try it... sounds way easier!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
POTATO BAG REPORT!

Well they've been in the spare room for 4 nights now.
As of this morning:
- Still bags of soil

"Grow tatters grow!"
sFun_cheerleader2.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The potato varieties that produce new tubers along the stems are limited. Oregon State recommends "late" varieties but then confuses the reader by not clearly defining which ones are late!

I have to think that the1honeycomb decides on how much soil to put in the bag by looking at her husband and determining how much exercise he needs when he carries the bags out of their basement! The fact that the guy is built like Lou Ferrigno really helps, I am sure.

Steve

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve, I didnt know youve seen my husband!!! Gotta love a guy who can bench press your weight :love
I haven't had potatoes that grow along the stem so I don't add dirt. I do believe that you can fill the bags half way and use dirt and leaves. When I harveatthe potatoes I just dump the bag in one of my raised beds

Latest posts