SQB

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here's a good article on the life cycle of SVB's. Good pics of the hawk moth as well as the larva. Thank goodness that they only produce one generation per year otherwise imagine what kind of damage they could do :(
The university should update the treatment options though to include organic ones such as DE.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1209.html

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
We're going to start our pumpkins over... :(
the biggest one is now all yellow and dead. There are 2 others, but I think they've been hit as well. We didn't get the DE in time. Lil man is upset, but, that's just the way that the cookie crumbles.
I go through this every year... always a MASSIVE fail. Evil Evil Evil Borers!!!!

I try everything, I really do and massive fail.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our season is so hot and long that they can get a 2nd generation... at least that's what I hear!!

At this point I don't even CARE about the pumpkins being organic... we just want some pumpkins!!

We did try to plant garlic in with the pumpkins this year... because it was supposed to help deter them... but... apparently it did not work! :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I try a second planting in July as I'm told they finish their mating season around then. I don't know if that's true... because I did it at the beginning of July last year and the borers got them again right after they sprouted. UGH!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hate the darn things!! I really wish I knew how to kill them. I just pulled the 3 pumpkins that were growing really well and burned them. One was yellow and dead, and the other 2 had the "poop" on the stems...

Latest posts