Squash Lasagna

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I am already picking squash and it looks like a great next couple of months for squash. Then the summer heat will set in and that's pretty much it. But while the squash is here, we get a lot of it, so I came up with a new recipe for squash. I used Lebanese White Marrow from Baker Creek. Or you could use zuchinni. ;)

http://www.rareseeds.com/lebanese-white-bush-marrow-/

I used my mandolin to slice them lengthwise. I used the squash instead of lasagna pasta noodles. Otherwise, I made it like regular lasagna. I did use pasta noodles on the bottom, thinking it would help hold it all together better, but it didn't. :p Next time I won't use the pasta noodles.

2 lebanese white squash or zuchinni, sliced thin lengthwise
1 pound hamburger, browned
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 pound your favorite cheese, grated
1 can spaghetti sauce, mix with browned hamburger
1 24 ounce large curd cottage cheese or riccota cheese
Optional: pasta lasagna noodles for the bottom of the pan

Place pasta noodles on bottom of the pan. layer with meat sauce, cottage cheese, onion, then squash. Continue to layer ingredients to the top of the pan. Top with meat sauce, then onions. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, take it out of the oven and put the grated cheese on top. Return to oven until cheese is melted.

7949_squash_lasagna.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't much care for squash, except for some fried zucs. I did notice however, that you paint your toenails, but not your fingernails...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I don't much care for squash, except for some fried zucs. I did notice however, that you paint your toenails, but not your fingernails...
Monty, I can't keep nail polish on my fingernails. I knock it off, chip it and in a couple days time, it looks like crap. So, I content myself by having painted toes and wearing blingy flip flops. :cool:

Oh, and the squash in the lasagna didn't taste like squash. It took on the flavors of the sauce and cheese. It was really good!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Baymule - I'm the same way! I never paint my fingernails, but I almost always have my toes painted. :) Anyway, I've made zuke lasagna, but it always gets super watery once I bake it. Do you have a way to keep that from happening?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Baymule - I'm the same way! I never paint my fingernails, but I almost always have my toes painted. :) Anyway, I've made zuke lasagna, but it always gets super watery once I bake it. Do you have a way to keep that from happening?
Mine got a little watery too, but it was still delicious. I guess the pasta soaks up any moisture in regular lasagna. I'll have to work on that. Maybe dehydrate the zukes? It sure would make it easier to store the zukes for the "off" season! I'm going to bite the bullet and order the Excalibur dehydrator I've been drooling over. So when I get it, I'll do an experimental dehydration version and see what happens.

Latest posts