Starting a worm composter!

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I asked for worms last year for my birthday and Christmas. No one believed me :lol: So, I got some for myself!

Today I picked up a "worm starter kit" from the local worm farm. Really nice folks :D They've been raising worms for over 30 years now. I got a large flat of established adult worms complete with castings, compost, baby worms/eggs and shredded paper as a top cover. I just put them in the worm bin I made out of a rubbermaid container. I can't wait until I can start harvesting castings for worm tea!

I done quite a bit of reading on how to keep a worm bin, but any tips on how to keep it cool in the California summers?

Trisha

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes the best presents are the ones you buy yourself! :D LOL, I am the same way...I always request something useful for the farm or garden for birthdays and Christmas. :lol:

I've never raised worms myself, but I would think you could dig a pit for the bin and the earth would help keep it cool and moist. Maybe cover it with some cardboard or wooden boards. It would be good if you could situate it in the shade too.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy!

ETA: Just saw all of your gorgeous roses on your personal page. What an awesome collection you have!

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks:) I had about 80 types of roses before I moved, but I think I'm down to about 40 of my favorites right now. Many are still waiting in pots for the perfect spot LOL.

Good idea about digging a pit for the bin during the hottest part of the summer. Even in the shade it gets way hot here.

Ariel72

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I would love some nice worms for birthday, Christmas ect. Some people don't see them as the super fantastic things they are. I just don't get it:D.

Latest posts