starting seed

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am loosing my green thumb...I have tried to start seed 4 times and got nothing... thought it ws the seed so bought new seed... restarted seed for the 4th time and still nothing... this is the first year in I can tell you where I have to buy all my seedlings...all that work :barnie

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
some seeds can go bad ! Make sure seeds that are planted stay wet (dont over water) and dont let it dry out either ! I water mine every morning. If its dry in the afternoon I water lightly.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is sad news... the one thing that gets me through seed starting, is that if all else fails- I can buy transplants! So, you will still have a wonderful garden! Was anything different this year? Soil, light, heat? My broccoli was a complete fail. Only one seed germinated! I bought transplants...So, we will still be enjoying garden, fresh broccoli. Happy Gardening!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pam, i have lots of extra tomato plants if you'd like some! i'm up to over 30 varieties so let me know if there is a certain one (or two, three, etc) you are looking for and i can bring them by your house sometime this week. i have some more common varieties like roma and beefsteak, sorry i didn't do any cherry types beside Juliet Grape and i think i sold those yesterday at my yardsale. i do have some unusual heirlooms going too.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is it that is happening with your seed starting efforts?

Good sterile potting soil, soilless?

Pre moistened?

Seeds not overly jostled, not stored near a heater, and the packets kept dry? They did not freeze after moistening or planting?

Thermometers working right? Or a good feel for temp at least?

Flats and trays good and clean?

Any tiny teency little growth on the surface of the soil?

Bad case of brown gnats or slugs or nematodes in the starting mix?

Your water has not been super charged with chlorine or some other chemical?

Temperature of the starting soil kept nice and warm?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deb.. thanks if you have a few heirlooms I would appreciate them... I went to Stewarts and picked up a brandy wine and six pack of early girl and green pepper some pickling cucumbers and a few other things...I have never had to buy everything... I am going to wait to see if the farmers market at Ben Franklin's parking lot on Thursday has anything... I bought a few things from them last year and they did well...
Marshal... the only thing I saw in your list could be the clorine in the water...I have been starting seeds for almost 50 years...and have
NEVER had a total bust before.... fresh seed starting soil...heating mat to keep the soil 70 degrees...good light etc...I try to be maticulous about cleanliness everything goes into the dishwasher...

well hopefully the store bought will grow well... :tools