STARTING SEEDS!?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start lots of things indoors, Cane'!

I think it was 2 years ago, I even started some corn. Yeah, it worked fine!

A little advice on the sunflowers: they will quickly outgrow their containers. Still . . . Still ! They get a nice early start and aren't so prone to some of those problems they can face outdoors. Example: something pulling up sprouts and eating them!

Sunflowers can take a little bit of low 30's weather. I will almost venture to say that they can take a frost . . . anyway, harden them off early and set 'em out!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
I didn't know they were that tough, but they SURE are growing fast. As soon as they get a little bigger - and all get up out of the dirt, I'll move them to bigger pots and start setting them outside. They were really just sort of an impulse. I've got LOTS of seed and I wanted to grow them for the chickens. But with all those little empty cells of dirt I just HAD TO put something in them. :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't blame you sunflowers are beautiful and useful. You know the chickens will enjoy them, you should too!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wasn't picking on ya :hugs

:hugs :hugs :hugs

I'm actually very curious, then realized this can be fun. :)

:rainbow-sun

Beautiful how seedlings grow upward while compost grows downward :p

some of my garden beds that were made of almost pure forest compost have shrunk down, so i have to add more.

:hugs I'd never pick on ya cane!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
No worries Marshall. :hugs

I got another question.....
I haven't seen where anyone has specified this.... Do you leave the light on 24/7? Or do you let them have dark at night?:coolsun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll share a couple of things I don't know, Cane':

I don't know about lights.

I don't know about transplanting the sunflowers to larger containers. They were in small cells for me - 72/flat, and stayed in them for only a few weeks. As soon as they looked like they might need more soil, out they went into the garden. Of course, there was a little hardening-off first.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are the lights for photosynthesis or to raise the temps for germination?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most folks go with 16 or so hours of light, but jackB would be the real expert on that. he'll know what kelvins and colors and how many lumens from how far :)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm just curious here. Why would you start corn indoors? I did have to start some corn once to beat an overabundance of seed corn maggots in the soil, but I have since learned how to deal with those little buggars.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why start corn indoors:

'cause I'm new, and overly-eager, and had extra little pots full of dirt.
:watering
Besides, I want to try the 3-sisters thing and I keep hearing about how the beans overrun the corn so I figured why not give it a head start.