Still can't grow anything ion Winslow

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
If NOTHING else, buy a Christmas Cactus. I kept one by my sink for at LEAST 6 years, didn't repot it and HARDLY ever watered it. I decided to pay attention to it and seriously water it and it tripled in size in about 2 months.
That is a very good idea man. I will definitely buy a Christmas Cactus. Keep giving such a good idea will be very much useful to us and the other new comers too.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My guess, since I also live in the desert, is not the lack of water but the alkaline soil. If you don't plant in pots where you use pottong soil, and plant directly in the soil then it needs to be ammended. We bought 2.5 acres in the high desert here in CA and there was nothing on it but wild plants. I now have 76 trees, 20 roses, over 80 bearded iris and so many other plants I don't have room to mention. Some haven't made it even with the ammended soil but that is because the wind is so bad and we have very cold winters. Butterfly bush grows very well here and so does salvia and penstamon. The supertunias do well also. Surface watering isn't the best unless it goes deep because the hot dry air evaporates the surface water. I drip irrigate at night.