stupid question for the day

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok I planted my onions last week and I did not turn the sprout side up in only but one...yes that one is comming up but none of the others....what will happen?....do I need to dig them up and turn them?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
are they on their side or upside down? I would say you just probably need to wait longer unless they are upside down. then IMO I would turn them.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am the curious type, I think I would gently uncover the onions to see if they are upside down. If so turn them.... gentle if they are start to grow roots. I think onions are pretty hardy and can take the abuse.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a whole bunch of onions that got missed in the harvest last summer...after the DH tilled the garden, they ended up all in one spot, which I didn't know until they all sprouted! I did move some so they were more in rows than in a pile, but there were so many that I decided just to leave them alone. Many of them were sideways and some were upside down...they did sprout, just took longer for the green to make it to the surface. Not sure what kind of onion this will create, so if you can fix them without too much disturbance, I'd do it. The ones I moved had some real big, long roots, all tangled with the roots of the neighboring onion, but they all seem to be doing fine after the move, so if you're careful it should be ok. Isn't experimenting fun?