Success with Slow-Germinating Seed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my 1st posts here on TEG was about my experiments with sowing carrot seed. I'll post a picture to show some of the results below. This was late June and the 14th day after sowing seed with cornstarch gel.

Usually, there is just this very narrow window about the last of April when it won't be too difficult to keep the soil moist and the temperatures are warm enuf that germination is somewhat guaranteed. My garden soil is very porous (I mean, take a look at the rocks in that picture :rolleyes:)!

Using cornstarch gel or pelleted seed has worked well for me to sow carrot seed with more confidence - not only during the April "sweet spot" but right thru May and June.

Here is a thread where I am talking about the technique a couple of years ago: http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25799

You might want to use the same type of gel for making a seed tape with strips of newspaper. It really should work just about the same :).

Steve

Beyond the brick are carrots sown 6 weeks earlier. I'd like you to know that this garden has less rocks than my other gardening locations ;).
Hartson%2520002.jpg

edited to remove the music link which, over time, eliminates the picture here on TEG. Combining links is only a temporary thing ♪ :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So how do you manage to grow such beautiful straight carrots
in your cobblestone? I was thinking of putting my carrots in my whiskey barrels on the patio because of the rocks, but I really believe your soil outshines mine in rock content! :p
eta What a handy super easy technique Steve! I love that idea.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, Thistle, my carrots aren't straight. Or, at least, only a very small accidental percentage of them are straight.

And, there is quite a bit of trouble with them splitting.

I was recently reading that root nematodes are a greater problem in rocky soil than other types. That may well be one of the problems.

I wish they were all beautiful - baby carrots do better than those that require the entire season.

Steve

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great info. More than that I love you sharing about how you work with what you have! It is important to witness perserverence so in our times of struggle, we can remember that ingenuity pays off.

Thanks for the link!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you steve!

I have carrots in for the 4th time ever now. In the fall, I planted something like 50 seeds, and only got 3 to sprout. 1 died, and I still have 2 very small carrot tops out growing now.

I just planted another 50 or so with my daughter, and kept them shallow, almost not covered at all with soil. I'm watering a bit everyday and keeping a row cover over them until the sprout so frost doesn't get the sprouts and birds don't get the seeds!

Wish me luck (and much patience)!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does this hold true with the seed tape you make with cornstarch? I have been thinking about making some of it because I am trying carrots this year. I remember my parents grew them back in the 70's but I have never tried them. I have the seeds, they are purple dragon and danvers. I actually have been a little hesitant to make the seed tape because I was afraid the cornstarch might prevent it from germinating.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve...you have always mentioned that your soil is rocky. But I didn't know it was THAT rocky. I didn't know things could still grow in that type of soil.

I planted carrots for the first time last spring and they did well. I guess I should count my blessings.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are a brave man, Steve! That's alotta rocks! I know we have to garden, where ever we are- but I am not sure I am up to that challenge!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
. . . I actually have been a little hesitant to make the seed tape because I was afraid the cornstarch might prevent it from germinating.
'Dorie, I am quite sure that I put more cornstarch in the soil than anyone would apply with a paintbrush to a piece of newspaper.

The seed has no problem with the cornstarch gel that I can see. That's also true when I used it with lettuce seed. Lettuce is blazingly fast compared to germinating carrot seed. Probably, the cornstarch decomposes completely within a month during the growing season.

Steve

You have seen the soil in my tomato patch, right?

♪ edited ♪ to link to ♪ ♫ music ♫ - click on the pic - I might do this with all my pictures . . . nah ;).

Latest posts