Suggestions, Early Maturing non-acorn Winter Squash

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have tried the acorns, 3 different varieties over 3 seasons, they just didn't taste as good as they did when I grew them in another garden. Besides, acorns aren't the best for winter keeping.

I've grown Early Butternut but DW wasn't very happy with them. Waltham Butternut did not mature all that well. And -- there's the problem, adequate maturity. I don't seem to be able to believe the catalogs on days-to-maturity!

Burgess Buttercup comes thru for me year after year. It doesn't have any special earliness reputation. Good flavor but they sure have that big button on the blossom end. Kabocha types, and I've grown 2 with Cha Cha doing almost okay, do not have that button. They are meatier altho' not quite as large as the Buttercup.

Am I stuck with the Buttercup?

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your not stuck, how long is your growing season?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hal, I read your post on the thread about mildew - this was my little trap to get your response.

It isn't so much the length of the growing season, I don't believe. It is the often 30°f swings between daily highs and lows. Humidity down to about 20% many summer afternoons - it is a fairly arid climate with nearby mountains.

I pretend that there will be 150 days frost-free. Gotta have faith to be a gardener :).

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are so many more varieties than buttercup that you could resort to!

I do not know if this would count as "early" or not, but maybe give Oregon Sweet Meat a shot?

Squash originally come from very arid areas and most varieties have deeper root systems, they probably just prefer to have more water. (notice the use of the word "probably", I do not know exactly what I'm talking about. I do not have very much experience when it comes to squash.) There are probably some old Indian heirlooms out there that would better deal with an arid climate, they may not be early though. Baker's has a few of those Indian heirlooms along with many other varieties and types of squash.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO', I grew a hill of Lakota squash one year.

Very pretty squash but they didn't set many fruit. I recall having only one that I moved to the basement for winter use.

I probably have more square feet than most gardeners in my squash patch but that doesn't mean that I grow very many - maybe 200sqft for the winter squash. This year, Benjamin Bunny took out nearly all of the plants right after they went into the garden.

I enjoyed growing Marina di Chioggia in 2013 but the fruits were not fully mature and not very flavorful - not much different from the jack o'lantern pumpkins.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
this year i'm saving seeds from some of the crosses that volunteered for me. i believe one of my crosses was patty pans with acorn squash, or it could be a yellow straight neck squash that crossed with the acorn. it had a golden color, acorn shape and somewhat squat like the patty pan. my mom loved the sweet taste and somewhat tender skin while it still had a firm flesh. they produced a lot for me, so much i was pulling most of the vines out in August trying to keep them in check. seems they hold well in storage too. though i'm down to the last one since my sister and mom snatched them up as soon as i had the last of them harvested.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you tried the Waltham more than once, Steve? The reason I ask, is because last year I got none- and the year before I had 75...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
ChickiesMoma, maybe that is what I should do - let them cross.

It would probably be a little risky to let an acorn cross with a summer squash but, I don't know. This summer/winter thing is pretty much just use terms. It may not lose keeping qualities.

I am very happy with the buttercups for their uses! They make super pie. I do feel a little left out, tho'. I have grown the Blue Hubbard and it did okay. DW was happy and I was happy with how Early Butternut performed but, she didn't think much of it.

I should admit that Early Butternut is a hybrid but I've never saved squash seed anyway. There is no excuse for not saving seed, I've learned. So they don't cross, It really is just a matter of growing one from column A, one from column B, one from column C . . . oh yeah, I've been stuck with just the one from column A . :rolleyes: . . & then the summer squash.

Steve
edited to add: oh, there's Lesa :)! yes, i grew the waltham 2 different years with quite a few years intervening.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you tried the pie pumpjins?
Jaspee de vende, pretty sure this is a stabilized hybrid.
New England Sugar Pie. My oldest sister likes these.
Winter Luxury Pie. <<<I bet that one would cross well with Acorn

Course then there's always some of the delicata varieties. And for real indian squashes, native seed search has a great selection.

Latest posts