Suggestions for Low-Spray/Rootstock Apple Varieties

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

We are making plans fro a fully working small farm by the year 2015, and I'm going to be in charge of the gardens, orchard, and turkeys! This farm is going to be organic and using nearly all heirloom crops and heritage livestock. One of the first things that I'm looking at are the fruit/nut varieties that we are going to have in the orchard. I'm looking for a low-spray apple variety, preferably heirloom. But it doesn't matter that much, as long as it is a variety that doesn't need to be sprayed that often. I am also looking for a good rootstock variety. Suggestions would be very much appreciated!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an organic apple orchard in Massachusetts. They might be helpful.
There is also a 4 generation apple orchard in New Britain ct. where I grew up, Rogers Orchard. They are doing cutting edge apple growing with small trees gown fairly close together. They might lead you in the right direction with making a living at it.

http://www.rogersorchards.com/default.aspx
http://www.bearswamporchard.com

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Cat! Right away I see that one of the websites has scab-resistant varieties listed under cultivars! I'll take a better look at the websites after breakfast.

Nyboy, we're planning on doing pears too. Beside from making $$$, organic apples would provide apples for us to use. Apples are getting expensive!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out some of the university and college websites that do agriculture studies. Univ of ME and Cornell in NY are 2 i used last year for making my decision to go with Bud 9 rootstock for my apples. if i could have gotten Geneva 41 i would have tried a few grafts with those, however i can't find out how cold tolerant it really is. i'd also suggest Geneva 11 or 16.

if you are looking for rootstock and scion suppliers there are very few i found online. FedCo in ME carries rootstock and scions for apples, pears and plums. www.FedCoSeeds.com you need to get most tree or rootstock/scion orders to them by March.

Cummins Nursery in NY also supplies rootstock. http://cumminsnursery.com/rootstocks.htm

Rain Tree Nursery in CA supplies rootstock www.raintreenursery.com and gives a little better description.

this may help you with deciding on rootstock from Cornell Univ. www.cctec.cornell.edu/plants/GENEVA-Apple-Rootstocks-Comparison-Chart-120911.pdf

even though these two are very expensive places to get rootstock from i found their sites very useful! http://willamettenurseries.com/clonal_fruit_tree and www.treco.nu/Rootstock.htm

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedo, have read everyone's posts and nobody has suggested contacting your county cooperative extension on seeing what varieties of fruit trees will fit your propose.
would hate to see you waste a ton of money with a ton of headaches in the long run.....those master gardeners will tell it to you straight on what is best for your growing region..

just food for thought.... best wishes on your endeavor

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Chickie'sMoma! They'll definitely come in handy!

I have not thought about contacting the local cooperative extension, Major, thanks for the great idea! Money is definitely going to be a concern. I'm still going through catalogs and looking through reviews look for good market varieties. I'm going to be trialing a lot of it and picking the good varieties myself. Mostly all local farmers here focus on animals. I'll also be doing the whole CSA thing.I'm trying to focus as much as possible, on local heirloom varieties.

Thanks for the best wishes, there's going to be a long road ahead!

GreeneGarden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Actually, there aren't many apples that are no spray; or even low spray.
Here are some that come very close and should work in your area:

Freedom, Liberty, Novamac, William's Pride.

I am a big fan of St. Lawrence Nursery.
They specialize in disease and cold resistance.
They graft their apples to Antonovka root stock because it
is so cold and disease resistant.

The plum curculio is going to be your number one enemy.
Small blossom flowers will attract parasitoides.
Farmers also have grown tobacco in orchards for a long time
with some suppression success.

Good luck.

Latest posts