Summer Planting trees?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone who has planted fruit trees during the summertime had any success? I may be visiting my home in NC during the summer and I was thinking of planting bare root trees in pots, here in my home in NY, then just take the leafed out trees when I travel down south. I haven't planted trees there during the summer months, only so far in the Fall and Spring, I've been adding trees to my orchard. I'm not sure if the hot weather by then come summer over there, will affect the survival rate of planting new trees?
Or will it be better to just get the bare root trees shipped by the time I visit to plant them right away? The only thing is most Nurseries I see that sell fruit trees don't ship in the summer.

Any suggestion will be appreciated!
Thank You!! ;)

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Bare root trees are supposed to be dormant so they should be planted in the winter or early spring. Unless you are digging trees up somewhere, I doubt that you will find any bare root trees for sale during the summer. Trees that are already in pots can be planted in the ground and I would assume could be moved to a different pot any time of the year.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No matter what you start with, watering is going to be the key....if you are not there, I don't think they will have much chance.

Latest posts