Summer season Garden is over

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My garden is just about done.

The corn has been harvested. The beans, cukes, and zukes have stopped producing.
The ducks ate all the melon leaves so the melons stopped growing and the kids manhandled what was left.
The only thing left is tomatoes. I am still getting some tomatoes or they are changing to red now which rock. I did a lot bettter with the cherry tomaotes than the big ones.
jalepeno peppers never did much but apparently I was supposed pick them (duh).

This weekend I will pull everything down but the tomatoes. It is too hot to plant anything else now. Not much will grow (or that is what I have read) now in this coastal south heat (it is like a freakin sauna). Last year I moved here in the summer and tried to plant some zukes and melons and nothing would grow until Late August September.

I have read that peppers, eggplants, tomatoes and such will live through the heat to produce another crop in the late summer. Anybody experience this?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe I will try that. I have been sitting around thinking of what I want to grow next. I have a second hot season and then the cool winter season. I want to expand my range of veggies but my flippin family just don't like them veggies. And I hate to end up with that much zukes just for me. Although deep down inside I do enjoy thier disgusted face when they see the basket of zukes I brought in. :D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok since my season is over, I better get prepared. so I ordered
True gold sweet corn
Cucumber - Chinese yellow
Endive - Batavian full heart
lettuce - val dorges and rouge h'divers
Sweet pepper - Quadrato d'astis giallo
Radishes -, china rose, chinese red meat, early scarlet globe
Tomatillo verde
Orangeglo watermelon (I have never had an orange watermelon)

All from bakers creek. I still need to find a hot pepper that interests me.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, obsessed, DID say she wanted something interesting. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't find these, er, "anatomical" peppers at least interesting... :p

Ive ordered several packs, myself. My wife certainly thought they were interesting, so I think they fit the bill!

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The plants you mentioned would make in the Fall but the problem is to keep them alive during this hot weather. If you pull everything out, you might want to plant some field peas just to cover the ground and improve the soil. Turn them under a couple of weeks before planting your Fall garden, those wonderful turnips, greens, lettuce, etc.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was going to start these in Early august and plant them late august. My fall garden is not til October November. Or that is what I read. I am still getting used to this Southern gardening which is totally different from Northern (Montana) gardening.

Ron - do you get a second warm season In late summer? Would the field peas grow in this heat?