Sunflower question

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My sunflowers are going crazy, but I noticed quite a few of the lower leaves are turning brown. New leaves are growing just above all the brown ones-is htis normal? If not, what can I do for them?:/

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's normal. Your sunflowers are putting all the energy into the flower so some leaves starve. Clip them off as they yellow so they won't become a vector for downy mildew.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am getting a bumper crop too. And I didn't even plant them! They were from the quail cage shavings. I threw them in the garden bed over the winter and the little buggers do not like black oil sunflowers.

Oh well, I can sell them at the farmer's market!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will plant a few of each of all my Sunflower varieties this year. I bought an oil press just for them.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my sunflowers n.

Snackseed
Oilseed
Autumn Beauty
Medium
Endurance

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Very normal, just trim them off. my "DesertGarden" is over run with 15 kinds of sunflowers ! Some came back from last year !! :rainbow-sun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
(Maybe DesertGirl will come back sometime and tell us about what someone called her "Conestoga Wagon" raised beds. ;))

I transplanted sunflowers out into the garden yesterday afternoon. They were started in tiny cell packs and just had their 1st true leaves. Ornamentals for the most part but some black oil sunflowers for the chickens & birds. Sunflowers can take a frost but I'm a little worried about them.

The sky was very overcast by afternoon and I was expecting rain today. Instead, the WS is predicting a sunnier day than yesterday! Rain tomorrow. I suppose that if they don't die today from lack of moisture they will still be at risk for severe frost . . .

Is that oil press also in the Lehman's catalog, Marshall??

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh wow, there is a desertgirl and a desertlady! :)

It is a Piteba oil press, cost me 164 clams plus california tax at Bountiful Gardens. Lehman has it too, same exact thing, except it costs 189 clams.

I have not yet set it up. I need to devise a hardwood frame, very stout, for it. Lehman's does have spendy prices on some of their items, however, they are a good company with a good selection.

I like Bountiful Gardens and their Ecology Action. They are the ones who came up with "Biodynamic", and the book, "how to grow more vegetables on less land than you thought possible".