sunflowers!!!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertlady said:
Last year I planted all kinds of sunflowers I can think of for shade. This year I am seeing three times more sprouted all over my yard !!! I suspected birds planted them for me !!! :rainbow-sun I am curious whats the record for the tallest sunflowers? mine seems to be over 10 feet tall. :throw
As of the 2004, the Guinness Book of World Records recorded a sunflower grown in the Netherlands that was 25 feet, 5.4 inches tall.

Chris

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I'm growing my sunflowers to make oil. If the economy goes completely belly up for years, it could become important.

I'll also be making oils from other flavorful seeds.
How do you do that? Don't you need some kind of special press? I'm interested...

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
chris09 said:
desertlady said:
Last year I planted all kinds of sunflowers I can think of for shade. This year I am seeing three times more sprouted all over my yard !!! I suspected birds planted them for me !!! :rainbow-sun I am curious whats the record for the tallest sunflowers? mine seems to be over 10 feet tall. :throw
As of the 2004, the Guinness Book of World Records recorded a sunflower grown in the Netherlands that was 25 feet, 5.4 inches tall.

WOW!!! 25 feet !!! I will try harder !! :lol:
Chris

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes Petey, it is a small hand cranked seed oil press made by Pitebo, I guess in Holland.

Lehman's has it, and Bountiful Gardens has it cheaper.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll find out for sure which is better, shelling first or not.

I'd actually like to shell them first, then take the hard cake to make sunflower seed butter. I had some. It is real good!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get so excited my sunflowers grow... I have dozens in the grown in many colors this year.

Marshall, thanks for sharing that, I wondered what I would do to be 'self' utilizing in hard times. I was just thinking the other day, what would I do for cooking oils?! Now I have a plan!!!

Latest posts