Super brooder expansion, beware Steve...there's chick pix

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I figured it's time for an update so the pros can make sure I'm not screwing something up.

For the last few days DW has been trying to socialize the layers. They have now joined me in eating right out of the palm of her hand.

DSC00264_zps5c275814.jpg

The layers were getting too crowded in the original brooder. It was only 2' x 4'. They were also trying to roost on top of the waterer.

DSC002581_zps002efbb4.jpg

So, since the weather decided to be nice this afternoon, I enlarged the super brooder into a three bay system. The layers are much happier in the new place. They have twice the room and I even made them a little roost system.

DSC00274_zps8a866132.jpg

Here is the new and improved super-duper triple brooder. I even added a fluorescent light in the ceiling. That red light was so depressing and made it too hard to see when we were in there working. Tomorrow I am going to build a proper cover for the layer brooder.

DSC00282_zps4545047f.jpg

And the chicks at their current stage of development:
Oldest CX:
DSC00260_zps8c034b36.jpg

Younger CX:
DSC00272_zpsb3162eca.jpg

And the layers. Actually these are two of the three (red sexlinks) that have names. That is Cinnamon on the top and Nutmeg below her. The third red sexlink is called Ginger. She is still a bit shy, and isn't in the picture.

DSC00280_zps2e8e60ae.jpg

We haven't named the Amberlinks or Australorps yet. Frankly I can't tell them apart.

We weighed one of the older CX on Wednesday. It tipped the scales at 25 oz. Once they hit 36-40 oz, four of them are going to freezer camp as cornish game birds. I'm looking for dressed birds at about 22oz, so I'm hoping 36-40 live weight will get me there. Any ideas on that?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
GREAT setup! :clap And some very happy, healthy looking chicks.

You're doing a great job.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aren't they cute . . . ;)

I don't have an idea on the CX. It has been nearly 20 years since I've grown them and about 10 years since I've grown chicks especially for the freezer. Those were Light Brahma pullets. Yeah, shouldn't have picked a breed that have personalities I like.

The Australorps will just be getting more and more black and that should distinguish them from the Amberlinks before long.

Marshall was talking about having hybrid this and hybrid that. I wonder why producing the sex-links doesn't become more popular. I once raised a poor quality brood of Barred Rocks and that set me against them for awhile. Then, I kind of accidentally got a few more BR pullets and was really impressed with how good of layers they were. Long ago, I had a Rhode Island Red rooster that really fairly gentle and well-mannered, contrary to their reputation. That is the simplest cross for sex-links, the RIR & BR. I used to enjoy having a roo that was different from the flock of hens.

Sex-links are fine layers and there are a number of ways to arrive at that distinguishing mark for the cockerels. It is just a matter of maintaining (and enjoying) the purebred lines of the parents. You could do that with a meat line also, altho' it wouldn't be quite as important as selling chicks for layers. And that Cinnamon Queen, MontyJ -- a Silver Laced Wyandotte is likely her mother. I think all the Wyandottes are really good looking birds.

Checkin' out the Chicks

Steve

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lookin good Monty! I like your set up and may "borrow" heavily from it ;) We're hoping to get a small (about 5) order of Cx fairly soon and we'll keep 'em in the garage till they're ready to go outside.

Have to agree with Steve on the sexlinks being good layers. We have 6 reds and average about 5 eggs a day over the summer when we have full daylight; managed about 3 or 4 a day over the winter with some supplemental light. Ours aren't super friendly or cuddly, which suits us since we have pets...just wanted eggs :) And they're pretty easy keepers...they tolerate the extremes of temp we get with no problems at all.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Aren't they cute . . . ;)

The Australorps will just be getting more and more black and that should distinguish them from the Amberlinks before long.

Steve
HA HA!! Thanks for clearing that up for me, Steve! Makes naming them so much easier ;)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always thought some Buckeye over Delawares would make some VERY nice sex links. You'd have a strong layer that should put some good size on so the boys could still go to freezer camp and not be waste. Sell the day olds to pay for feed and keep the boys to feed the family.

Thats just me though.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Monty, those multi-colored plastic zip ties make GREAT leg bands to help you tell one chick from another. Just be sure to put them on loose and check them often and replace as they grow. When my Speckled Sussexs were about half grown they were changing into their 'big feathers' and each looked different daily - so I put a very loose pink zip-tie on one's leg - it's still there and has never caused her any problem.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
really great looking brooder set up (mine is currently a large dog crate converted). do they use the roost you made for them? I need to come up w/something for them to roost on.
I accidentally got a red sex link (thought it was a buff orp)(don't know much about them). I didn't catch it until I got home. the way it acts/looks i'm thinking little rooster boy.
I've got several Delaware. I think more than half of them are males too. my wyandottes are so little. they're strong & healthy, but little pip squeeks, and my buff orpingtons are going strong.

as far as putting the weight on the cx - there's a big thread on backyard chickens about fermented feed. I tried it awhile back. it was just easier for me to do more traditional w/so few chickens & they free range so they get all the goodies they want.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bj, don't count those 'roos' out just yet. The biggest and baddest chick in my brooder ended up being the tinest hen. She's still a 'bad girl' and rules the roost - and the coop - and the run...... At 2 weeks old, I was so sure it was a roo that I didn't even name it. They were probably 3-4 months old before I even started to suspect that it might not be a roo.

Latest posts