Tarragon??

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tarragon plants are doing great and growing huge,but, they don't always smell or taste like tarragon??? Most time they just smell "green". Is there a certain season or part of the plant I should use-or have they just become too large? Any ideas?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
My tarragon plants are doing great and growing huge,but, they don't always smell or taste like tarragon??? Most time they just smell "green". Is there a certain season or part of the plant I should use-or have they just become too large? Any ideas?
Maybe you're treating them too well. Try waiting a bit longer between waterings and using less fertilizer. Most soft herbs like tarragon have a more intense flavor if they are slightly stressed.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting! Unfortunately, mother nature is keeping everything very well watered. But, when we had a dry May, the tarragon was lovely...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Or you may have unfortunately acquired common "russian" tarragon rather than French tarragon. They look exactly alike, but only the French tarragon tastes like tarragon.

The reason the russian tarragon is around is that it comes from seed (the french tarragon can only be propagated from cuttings). Fat lot of good it does though :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This tarragon has been absolutely delicious for the past few years. After googling around a little, it seems that the herb has less flavor as time goes by. At the age of 4- may not have any flavor. I suspect this is what has happened. So, next spring, I will take cuttings and try to grow a few new plants....

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You might also try tagetes lucida, also known as mexican mint or Texas mint. It makes a good substitute for tarragon and is easy to grow, though you may have to grow it as an annual in your part of the country. Remind me in Spring and I can send you a start.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat- thank you so much for that generous offer. I would love to try mexican mint. I'll look forward to spring! You asked in the mason bee post, where in NY State I am... I am in central NY, Utica, NY. I think we are about about 1.5 hours south of Watertown.

craftsmaster

Sprout
Reaction score
lesa said:
When you grow this herb, steer clear of trying beginning with seeds. You just won't have any luck. Instead, visit your local nursery and buy some small plants. Plant these in early spring and give them lots of room to grow -- at least 18 inches from another. Yeah, these guys get pretty big.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
The Mexican Mint is being sold as "Texas Tarragon" at Home Depot. I bought one the other day :D
You'll love it. The taste is unique. It gets quite high, about three feet. Here in San Diego it blooms pretty much the year round. The younger leaves have a more delicate flavor and are great in salads. If you want the tarragon "bite" use the oldest leaves. I haven't tried drying it since I can pick it fresh any time here.

Latest posts