Tell me your beet secrets!!!!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not sure why hilling is recommended. But one of my buddies said his dad always said to hill, as do others. Maybe the hills help keep the plants moist???? Some say to hill onions as well, and they need lots of water.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yeah!!!!! I am harvesting beets!!!!!

I am pulling in the thickest areas (I didn't thin one row, as some of you said it didn't matter). I can say that I really like the "Torpedo" variety of beets, and the Detroit reds are also growing rapidly.

I used to peel before cooking but learned to wash, cook unpeeled , then use the back of a knife blade to skim away the peel. Add some balsamic vinegar and you are in beet heaven! I am also loving the greens in my salads.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hilling is is you don't have deep top soil. Hills dry out faster.
Teka said:
Not sure why hilling is recommended. But one of my buddies said his dad always said to hill, as do others. Maybe the hills help keep the plants moist???? Some say to hill onions as well, and they need lots of water.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard about those Tattler lids. They sound great, Just kinda waiting till they have a sale, or sumptin

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Teka said:
I love beets but have had horrible luck with them. One great year -- but not sure how to replicate the success! I soak my seeds before planitng; keep the ground consistently wet through germination; double dug the bed, added extra compost.... Last year, all was well but my pole beans overshadowed the beets and they floundered -- but this year's seedlings are popping up and looking great.

Do you hill them? What are your secrets for growing beets?
I could never form a beet until I added green sand.
What is green sand? I've never heard of it. Maybe it's an East Coast thing? Been gardening for better than 25 years & this is the first time I've heard of it.

I'm always on the lookout for good, organic, innovative ways to improve my garden, so I am interested in knowing what is "green sand" and what it does.

Thanks!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green sand is exactly what it says -green sand. It is a soil amendment that adds trace elements to the soil. I originally had to buy it on line but it is starting to appear at farm stores.A master gardener told me to add it to tired beds. It has always done the trick for me. She said to use it every 5 years. I buy some every year and do a different garden with it.It has done as promised for me. I don't know where it comes from.
grow_my_own said:
catjac1975 said:
Teka said:
I love beets but have had horrible luck with them. One great year -- but not sure how to replicate the success! I soak my seeds before planitng; keep the ground consistently wet through germination; double dug the bed, added extra compost.... Last year, all was well but my pole beans overshadowed the beets and they floundered -- but this year's seedlings are popping up and looking great.

Do you hill them? What are your secrets for growing beets?
I could never form a beet until I added green sand.
What is green sand? I've never heard of it. Maybe it's an East Coast thing? Been gardening for better than 25 years & this is the first time I've heard of it.

I'm always on the lookout for good, organic, innovative ways to improve my garden, so I am interested in knowing what is "green sand" and what it does.

Thanks!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Teka said:
The beet seedlings are on their 3rd set of leaves and I am thinning judiciously -- the thinnings were a great addition to our salad tonight! I had a roasted beet salad the other night: oven-roasted beets peeled and chopped, Granny Smiths apples, shreded carrots, blanched green bean pieces, and celery in a balsamic vinagrette..... I am hopin for a big crop to have that salad often!!!!!
yum that sounds great

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know by now that you really must soak the seeds for 24 hours in water before planting. I have let the seed go 2 days with no loss of results. Then, water every day!!!! I was out there faithfully spraying down my beet row this year. In prior years, when I was not so vigilant and did not have good results.

I am a big fan of Baker Creek, and have only ever have had one seed variety not grow (pomengranate) I had "fuzzy' tomato seeds from them that I questioned, they responded that they were okay, and they were, too my surprise. Can't fault Baker Creek.

Latest posts