Tell/show me your favorite shade plants!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
lesa said:
Yes, bleeding heart would do great along that wooded edge. It will also grow in the sun, but it turns brown mid-summer and looks kind of bad. In the shade, it should stay green all season...I have seen hostas do quite well in a planter box. Begonias would do fine there, as well. May I add, that box turned out wonderful! That is a great way to use a pallet! Keep your eyes open on garbage day- my daughter brought home 2 birdbath bottoms and I rigged up tops for them. Free! That corner of your yard will be lovely...Enjoy!
Thank you! I was wondering about hostas, I do like them a lot.
I frequently cruise the neighborhood the night before trash day. People throw out all kinds of treasures! One of the reasons I got a mini van was so I could haul "stuff."
I found a glass table top for my husbands coin collection cut the exact size of the table I wanted to use one night when we were in Seattle having dinner ..I spotted it and made everyone in the car move over so it could ride in a seatbelt :)

I love picking up off casts up!!!! and put them out myself with a FREE sign on them all the time .. when our community has big pick up day and all the things I need are out on the curbs!!! I just drive by and pick up!

I have also found tons of healthy potted plants just set out by the garbage ...when things stop blooming people toss healthy plants out I stick them in the ground and get more flowers :)

your planter is adorable and i could see some bleeding hearts in that spot for sure!!! they have both white and pink ones both are very pretty!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chills said:
GrowinVeggiesInSC so very kool!
can i ask? did you find it hard to get the nails out? and did you use a circular saw?
i see pallets in my future!!
thanks
I found it near impossible to get the nails out without damaging the wood in one way or another. Not to mention it took me for.ev.er to pull them out. I soon resorted to cutting the boards with the jigsaw. Then I used a crowbar to get rid of the small pieces of wood left on the thick support beams and pounded in the nails. It's entirely too hot for a project like this, and it took me several days because I couldn't take the heat. I am going to try something different for the other two planter boxes. I'l post pictures when they're done.

If you need some inspiration or something to get you started, I found this AWESOME website that I use a lot.
www.instructables.com
You can do a search for wood pallets, or whatever your heart desires! :)

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was also thinking that I love ferns, but would like to get some native ones. Where does on get native ferms without digging them up illegally?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
curly_kate said:
I've had good luck with hostas, coral bells, and astilbe. I also just planted something called lamium, which is a nice ground cover with pretty pink flowers.
I just saw the lamium at the nursery for the first time this year. They looked pretty on the info pics. :)
Be very careful with lamium, some varieties are very invasive, they get out of control real quick!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was also thinking that I love ferns, but would like to get some native ones. Where does on get native ferms without digging them up illegally?
Look up your State Conservation Dept web site and see if they have a Grow Native Program to purchase plats and seeds. Missouri Conservation Dept has a wonderful program here.

Your planter box looks Great. :clap :clap
I love recycling and reusing items :thumbsup

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I agree with Reinbeau about lamiums -- I have a big problem with them taking over. I never planted mine; it just arrived & multiplied...... & multiplied..... &, &, &.................................................................. :weee :weee :weee ..................................................Eeeeeeeeek ...........!!! :barnie DON'T LET IT IN !! :he :ep

RANT OVER, I'm CALM again. :happy_flower :happy_flower Thinking nice thoughts :happy_flower

HAPPY GARDENING EVERYONE !!

:rose Hattie :rose

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lily of the valley is great, hostas are too but they're kind of ugly IMO, we had daffodils and such in the shade and although they took ages to come up they did eventually come up and looked great.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
It shouldn't be illegal for you to dig up native ferns... out here in the country anyone digs of anything.. just the other day I noticed a couple at the side of our road digging up a small lilac bush (they grow wild everywhere here) and people regularly take tree saplings, and so on. It's illegal here to cut trillium, but you can dig it up.

OH have you considered TRILLIUM?

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have a fair amount of shade and I filled it up with variated bishops weed. I purchased one flat and from there it spreads and you can dig up roots and transplant. Its perennial. Its really pretty and puts out a flower that is similar to queen ann's lace. Mid summer I mow it down as it gets gangly and it comes right back up!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a corner (facing east) which no direct sunlight almost the entire day, the only chance is very early morning in summer, about one hour after sunrise. After that hour, this corner stays in the shade of the building itself.

The original owner planted two red-colored but different types of Rhododendrons, fern, a holly (we already removed it), Wisteria (we already removed it), some stonecrops, and the tree in front of the window (I suddenly can't recall the name).

Two years ago, I did some changes - pruned 2/3 of the Rhododendrons (otherwise, they grew and covered the entire bed, looked like monsters), added one fragrant Azalea and three Roses (Clarie Austin).

Surprisingly, the three roses grew very well, a bit too well. so I have to keep cutting them back.
11242(1).jpg

I just transplanted the three roses to another area. However, I will also recommend 'Claire Austin' for a shadier spot. The flowers are wonderful for both colors and fragrance. This variety is very robust, disease resistant, and easy to take care of.

Latest posts