vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Man, thanks for posting this... I've gotten nothing done watching this! LOL

Just paused it to make dinner. Hahahaha

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
People will say you can't farm like that any more when what they really mean is they don't want to work that hard. It can still be done. When I was a kid many farmers were still farming with horse drawn farm machinery. I've walked behind a horse and plowed, mowed and raked many an acre of hay behind a team of hoses and pitched hay onto a wagon and them mowed it away in the barn by hand with a pitchfork. It was can see to can't see all during the growing and harvesting season and we pretty much had the Winter off except for tending the livestock but there's no reason it can't be done. Plants don't know anything about changed methods.

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There is also a series on Edwardian Farming. Also, after doing some research there is also a series called "The Victorian Kitchen Garden". I haven't seen it but the summary made it sound interesting.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Would love to see how long someone would last, especially if they had to cash flow to pay bills. Looks like it would be fun for a week or two.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife watched one of those reality shows a few years back where they took some city folks and put them to farming like that. One guy lost so much weight so fast he thought he was sick. All he was doing was getting into shape.

Hoodat, it was usually my job to stack the loose hay when we took it to the barn on the horse-drawn wagon. I as really glad when Dad got one of those hooks you could hitch a horse too and get most of the hay from the wagon to the hay loft. Really glad!

I only lost one load of hay I stacked. That was oats on a steep hillside and the horses jerked when they took off. As slick as oats are, Dad was unusually understanding. Plus he was driving the horses.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
My wife watched one of those reality shows a few years back where they took some city folks and put them to farming like that. One guy lost so much weight so fast he thought he was sick. All he was doing was getting into shape.

Hoodat, it was usually my job to stack the loose hay when we took it to the barn on the horse-drawn wagon. I as really glad when Dad got one of those hooks you could hitch a horse too and get most of the hay from the wagon to the hay loft. Really glad!

I only lost one load of hay I stacked. That was oats on a steep hillside and the horses jerked when they took off. As slick as oats are, Dad was unusually understanding. Plus he was driving the horses.
Oh yes, the old horse fork that ran along a track inside the barn with a trip cord to dump the load. Ever get a load dumped on your head? If it's timothy hay you had the itch the rest of the day with what went down your shirt. :D
My German grandfather could build a load on the wagon till you just couldn't pitch it that high any more and I never saw him lose a load. I know what you mean about straw. That stuff is as slippery as an eel. We usually used sideboards for straw. You got less on the wagon but it wouldn't slip.
Our farm team for many years was a mare and a gelding. The mare, Nelly, was blind but a really willing worker. The gelding, Danny, would lay back in the harness with any other horse but when hitched up with Nelly he always pulled his share.
When they were in the pasture Nellie would nicker if she lost track of where she was and Danny would trot over and put his side against hers to lead her to the best grazing or the water trough.

Latest posts