The Final Tomato Seed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fedco seed order arrived with the last new-to-me tomato variety!
  • Heinz
a paste tomato this year. This will only be the 2nd time I've grown a paste tomato. My idea has been that I should be able to enjoy a tomato fresh, first & foremost! Since I eat so much tomato sauce thru the winter, I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice with this kind of thinking. Fedco says it's good and early! I'll likely only have a plant or 2. I'll be overwhelmed with varieties if'n I'm not careful and I want to grow several that Marshall sent me :)!

New-to-me but already on the shelf:
  • Azoychka,
  • Neves Azorean Red,
  • Pink Bumble Bee, and
  • Isis Candy.
March 10th will be the latest for a first Sowing Date in recent memory. I wasn't waiting for the Heinz, don't even know if it will be going in with the first of 'em, but I've definitely been too early in recent seasons! Up-potting before they go out but I've only so much room in the heated greenhouse. Last year, I put quite a bit of heat into the new shed-attached hoophouse. Not too much of an excuse for that . . .

What is new-to-you in the tomato patch in 2014 and have you started your seeds???

Steve
edit to add :) :

Last edited:

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ordered them just for canning. If it is a good eater all the better.
Rutgers and better boy have always been my go to-maters. I grew delicious last year and liked it. Federel always does well for me. And Romas.
I want to try the Amish paste tomatoes as well, but maybe next year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I generally haven't had good luck with the heirloom tomatoes, so with trepidation, I am trying a few new ones (for me) this year: Black Prince, Missouri Love Apple, Kellogg's breakfast, San Marzano, Stupice. I will probably put in a few trusty hybrids, too, like Big Beef or Better Boy, just to make sure I have something to eat in case the heirlooms bomb. I do plan to put them in a different place in the garden, hoping that will help.:fl

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see Federle in the Seed Savers catalog. . .

On that other thread, So Lucky, you asked about Glacier. No, I haven't tried it. I see Territorial has it as a 55 day and a semi-determinate.

There are now 33 varieties lined out . . ! I don't just want ONE of each! I once had about 75 plants in the garden. That was too many! I'm needing to trellis some.

I very much rely on the hybrids, So Lucky. For me, that is mostly Early Girl, Sweet 100, and the golden cherries. I need some reliable beefsteaks: Big Beef & Goliath. After that . . . :weee

No. I've got some reliable heirlooms. Those cherries listed above are my efforts to pump up that corner of the patch.

I've got lots of choices along with Porter and Bloody Butcher for the in-betweens. Kimberley, Buisson, Woodle - all fit in there just fine!

Thessaloniki, a small beefsteak, and Legend are easy choices for me.

Gary O Sena and Prudens Purple (a little late) are way better than okay. Dagma's Perfection will come on with a rush there at the last.

Maybe my red Kellogg's x ? will pan out this season - just hope it's both early and tasty!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always start my tomatoes too early. Part of that is so I can replant if I have a failure. Part is I don’t know when my season will start. Some years it’s three weeks early, some years two weeks late.

I have limited space for up-potting. I only grow indeterminate. I would not try this with determinate, but if they get too big and I have to, I cut my indeterminates off above the first two true leaves. They send out suckers. The stem is pretty thick, not long and spindly. I don’t do this if it is pretty close to setting them out time, but if you have two or three weeks, well it works for me. I generally bury that cut place when I set them out. Those two sprouts work well when tying them to my cage to get them started.

I think up-potting is better if you can. Tomatoes will set up new roots where you bury the stem. But if you get desperate for space, maybe this van help.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t know what I will do new this year. All the seeds I’ve started are things I’ve grown before. But I’ll almost certainly pick up something new when I hit the plant sales.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now ya'll have gone and done it, :barnie I have going to have five varieties of tomato (three more than I planned BTW) and you all have gotten me so curious about this kellogs breakfast you keep mentioning, I certainly hope I can't find it at the local feed stores or home depot/Lowes, because I'm certain I'll be bringing it home if I see it.:he I keep telling myself I don't have the space, but the neighbor just expanded my garden space.:) Now I have no reasonable excuse to stay small:idunno because it might be to much work is definitely not working.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It seems like every year I grow almost all new varieties. I still haven't found any that I trust 100% to grow every year. Last year I grew Lemon Boy and Old German and I did purchase seed to grow them again this year. They made the best juice I have ever canned. They are almost to "tried and true" status but we will have to see how they do this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, you are talking about laying your transplants down in the garden or just encouraging the sucker?

Kellogg's Breakfast is just about the best tasting tomato I have ever grown. Too, too late for me to put much faith in it.

Rainy's Maltese looked like a winner for several years then the dream fell apart for the last 2 seasons. I don't know if I will grow them. . .

HPQ, think about trying tried and true. We all deserve a chance. It's good to have some depth to the bench, tho'. You never know who is gonna get sand kicked in their face.

Steve

Latest posts