The Florida Weave for tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't deal with the vines in the paths. It's a perennial August/September problem.

DW and I try to team up but often, seem to be at cross purposes. If the gnomes are around to help, we can get through the task ... maybe. Often, we are falling short of @Smart Red 's tiptoing thru garden tasks with her DH.

You can click the gnome and see:

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry all! I just started a new job and attended a wedding this weekend so I have been busy!

The Florida Weave will be a staple in our garden from now on. It worked extremely well for my large juicing tomatoes. I would suggest for determinant varieties such as saucing tomatoes that get rather heavy, to add a post next to each plant to help stabilize. DBF was out of town for work for about 4 weeks this summer so I let the weave get away from me. Once the plants get big it really is a two person job to get the twine tight enough to provide support. I luckily got 2 rows of twine up so the only plants touching the ground are the determinant varieties.

Next year I plan on weaving every other week and putting straw down in the rows to help with the weeds. I also plan on providing an additional stake to weave around for the determinant varieties.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There she is! Sounds like you have been busy, life does that. When you get a chance, take some pics! Glad this has worked so well for you!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.gardeners.com/buy/tomato-stakes-ladders/38-184RS.html?start=8&q=tomato cages
I love these tomato ladders from Gardeners supply. I got them as a gift when they were on sale. They are way too expensive. However I feel as if they will last a lifetime and they do hold up the giant varieties. I have added cheaper cages but they do not hold up as long. All have to be supported with cedar poles and heavy wire for added support. A few poles in a 90 foot expanse have stopped all of the cages from their usual toppling. Cages are much less maintenance in a long run.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I have those same ladders but I wish they had been taller. I didn't want to invest in the extensions for them. Instead my husband made me a trellis using those concrete reimforcement panels since I don't have access to cattle panels. He framed them with pipe and I really like them.

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Guess I know what I'll be doing next year. Florida weave for me. Glad to hear it worked so well.

Do you need an extra stake for big slicers like Delicious or Brandywines, etc?

Latest posts