The great Blue Heron

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great capture @catjac1975 ! Beautiful setting too!
Do you know if there's a rookery near you?

The Blue Heron is quite the town celebrity here. It's our city logo, there's the Blue Heron Elementary School, Blue Heron Days are this weekend... parade and all.
There is a large rookery about 2 miles away but I see them only occasionally on our pond.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had put some small feeder goldfish in my pond. For 3 years they where happy and grew huge!! Then they just disappeared, at same time I was having patio put in. The work men said for 2 days a giant bird hunted my goldfish, every time the guys would chase it away it would come back a hour later. It ate every fish before moving on, I am sure it was a heron.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I debated getting a few fish for my little pond. Between the birds and raccoon, I decided they probably wouldn't last long.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great capture @catjac1975 ! Beautiful setting too!
Do you know if there's a rookery near you?

The Blue Heron is quite the town celebrity here. It's our city logo, there's the Blue Heron Elementary School, Blue Heron Days are this weekend... parade and all.
There is a large rookery about 2 miles away but I see them only occasionally on our pond.
Do you mean the bird's rookery or a plACE where people hatch them? They have been here since spring but I have not seen any offspring. But , I do not know if I would see them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think she means the big giant nests in trees that are visible for a long distance. If I remember correctly, blue herons live in communities of several nests.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, @so lucky , your memory is correct. They nest in colonies that are amazing to see.

@catjac1975 , a search shows several in MA... Arcadia, Wrentham, etc.
Just search 'blue heron rookeries MA'. And OH!.. I think this is by you .. Marion

The rookery near me has about 250 nests. Just amazing to watch them during nesting season!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I look at it this way, as feeders they would have a very short life. Swimming around a pond no matter how long, is a much better life.
Well that makes sense.
Once the grand kids saw them I would probably have to keep restocking, if they go missing, to avoid sad faces. I guess they are cheap enough, unless it attracts more 'coons. Will have to think about that for next year. It would be neat to have some fish in there.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did see them returning again and again to a very tall nearby tree. I have not seen any young. Marion is the next town over. I will check it out. I cannot imagine seeing 250 nests!

Latest posts