The Great Cold Frame Experiment

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was going to try a cold frame this year, but it got post poned for a couple of other projects. Glad to see you figured a solution, maybe I'll get mine going for early spring.

sheaviance1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I am brand spanking new to this forum, but I recognize you from BYC and SS (i think)! I didn't know that this forum existed, and I am so excited to find it. I have been wanting to experiment with a cold frame myself, actually, have been wanting to enclose my compost pile in glass or plastic for the winter and use pots sitting on top of the compost, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I watched a video on youtube where this guy built a hoop house out of 2x4's, pvc and plywood. He used a crawlspace vent to ventilate it when it gets too warm in there (it opens when temp reaches 55), so I am trying to figure out how to incorporate that into my compost pile...

I love what you are doing, I did something similar early this year (started in February) to harden off some seedlings. I live in Tennessee, which usually has very mild winters. This past winter was pretty cold though. I didn't think to measure temperatures inside my redneck cold frame, but I didn't lose any of my seedlings that I started in the house (they were cold hardy broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts). I used four bales of straw squared up. I didn't use the water bottles, but did use two windows stacked on top of one another to utilize the insulating properties of having a cushion of air between the layers of glass. On extremely cold nights, i stuffed plastic bags in between the gaps in the hay bales to keep any excess air out.

I can't wait to follow your progress, and I do believe you have inspired me to go find some windows at the local habitat for humanity restore (they are $2 each there).

Good luck, and I'll be subscribing to this one!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Checked the temp this morning and it was only 30 degrees. WTH???

Then I looked closely at the thermometer. Me mucking around in there yesterday had knocked down some of the hay and the thermometer was almost touching the front water container. Duh! LOL

So I cleaned up the fallen straw, moved the thermometer a little ways back and it immediately jumped up to 32. I also stuck my hands in the dirt and there were no ice clumps. Just nice fluffy loamy soil. Even at 32 exactly it is still safe to plant cool season greens. I will plant the bok pak choy and maybe a little spinach tomorrow.

The low last night was 25 and the high was 45. Today's temps are supposed to be the same.

2:30pm
Cold frame temp at soil level: 40 degrees.
Air temp outside the cold frame: 47 degrees

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
have you also looked into getting a probe thermometer? that way you know what temp the roots will be in while they are growing!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband just got this cool little thermometer it comes in two parts you put the reading part where you want to know the temp, then the other part where it is easy for you to look at. (one part to measure the temp in the cold frame, the second next to your comfey chair for easy reading :lol:) it wasn't expensive and I think he found it at Wally world.

Organics North

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Something to consider regarding the cold frame... Is RODENTS... My overwintering crops have been devastated by voles... (Primarily all the Brassicas)

green food at a warmer temp than the surrounding area seems to have called all the pests in for dinner...:(

ON

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have that under control. In fact my rodent control is currently laying on my lap purring like mad and making it hard for me to type. A mouse tried to set up house in the straw a few days ago. Zeus got it :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
GOOOD mouse control! he deserves a nice treat! hope he didn't leave it somewhere as 'gift' for you!

my cat decided to 'gift' me a live one at 3am!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I had time to join in testing out the project, I've been digging through what we had to mess with... and I have TONS of windows to play with. :D

However, I need to finish taking care of the chickens' coops this week... finish my christmas stuff.... and the MIL is going to get here on the 19th. All that means when she's here she's going to give me hell if the house isn't in order and she sees I've been out in the yard playing with the 'hobby farm' rather then taking care with the family.

So I am going to try to go lay hay over what of my garden need protecting until spring, and have to call it done for now.

Besides... its sooooooooooooo ridiculously cold here not much I can do without hating it. Did you know my pond is frozen!? A 2 acre pond in my yard, in NC, in December is FROZEN! It has only frozen twice in about 5 years so I'm told, and I was here for the first time. How strange this weather is.... we seriously got snow before detroit or DeMoines has?! WEIRD AND FREAKY!!!!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
NW of Detroit about 2hrs and we've had snow since the 1st....if that helps! ;)

Latest posts