The Little Greenhouse That Could.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well it looks like it is that time of the year again. Time to get the greenhouse cleaned up and ready to go. I put the new plastic on it and built a raised bed in it and all is looking good. I hope to turn the heat on and get some plants in the flats this week.

Old Picture of my greenhouse -
7054_dsc_0033.jpg

Inside of the greenhouse -
7054_dsc_1000.jpg

South bench (added 02:39 Mar. 3) -
7054_dsc_1001.jpg

With out the heater running I have been getting some OK temps. -
At 8:53 18 outside air temperature and 40 greenhouse air temperature. (with the sky clear and the sun shining strong)
At 10:07 20 outside air temperature and 75 greenhouse air temperature. (with the sky clear and the sun shining strong)
At 10:39 22 outside air temperature and 80 greenhouse air temperature. (with the sky clear and the sun shining strong)
At 11:30 25 outside air temperature and 90 greenhouse air temperature. (with the sky clear and the sun shining strong)
At 02:09 30 outside air temperature and 84 greenhouse air temperature. (with the sky some what clear and the sun in the west, hazy and shining not as strong)
At 03:31 35 outside air temperature and 80 greenhouse air temperature. (with the sky some what clear and the sun in the west, hazy and shining not as strong)

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good Chris! Can't wait to see it full of green! So, the plastic does not need to be clear?? Those temps look toasty! I'd be setting up a chair in there!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Looking good Chris! Can't wait to see it full of green! So, the plastic does not need to be clear?? Those temps look toasty! I'd be setting up a chair in there!
Thank you Lesa,
No the plastic doesn't need to be clear. I used 4 mil construction grade plastic sheeting (not clear at all in fact it is what I would call "milky") it lasts for about a year but I get it in a 12 foot x 100 foot role from the local hardware store.
I have a double layer of plastic on the greenhouse and it is about a 1 between the outside layer and the outside layer and that makes for a little bit more insulation and also help the cold water from dripping down on young plants when the greenhouse "sweats".

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I got a jump on the south bench and that puts my one step closer to getting the seed in the ground. :lol:
7054_dsc_1001.jpg

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well the last two days we have been needing to run the heater to keep the temperature at 70 in the greenhouse at bench level.
I did get some of the seeds in the ground yesterday,
Marigold, Petunia, Portulaca, Geraniums, Coleus, Leek, Celery, Onion, Lettuce all when in yesterday.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
Sounds like you are in buisiness, how often does that space heater kick on?
I haven't checked yet, but I would say on day like today with temperature at 28 outside and very cloudy out it will run about 4 time in a hour and about 20 to 30 seconds running time. (giver or take)

I did put a small fan in the peak of the greenhouse to circulate the air and it help cut down running time. I will get some pictures of what I have done posted to day.

The fan I used is a 3012 Motor, Fan, and Bracket from GQF (it was to go in my cabinet incubator I'm building but works great in the greenhouse also) ;)
7054_3012.gif

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the fan that was talking about in post 7 -
7054_dsc_1006.jpg

Thermostat for the heater -
7054_dsc_1008.jpg

Some of the flats that I have planted -
7054_dsc_1010.jpg

7054_dsc_1009.jpg

Some of my herb cuttings that I had started in the house now moved into the greenhouse -
Sage, Rosemary, Coriander, and Tyme (in the background)
7054_dsc_1012.jpg

Basil cutting in bloom
7054_dsc_1011.jpg

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
That little fan prolly circulates the air plenty. Cannot wait to see more green things in there.
The fan work real well for the size of the greenhouse and keeps a good bit of heat moving from the peak to bench level.
Give me about a week and it should be real green in there. ;)
I should have Tomatoes, Peppers, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli going in the ground tonight so hopefully they will stat coming out of the ground Wednesday or Thursday if all go's right.

Chris

Latest posts